Help pleazZZ!! (1 Viewer)

Peek-a-boo!!!

HSC
hEY evrione. Can some tell me the chemical compostion of CFCs and linking it to ozone depletion and also the effect of greenhouse gases on global warming?( can u explain the process of greenhouse gases and UV radiation pleaz? Thank you. Im so lost.:confused:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
O2 + -> UVLight -> O + O
(Oxygen 2+ UV -> UV light -> Oxygen + Oxygen)

O + O2 -> O3
(Oxygen + Oxygen 2 -> Ozone) = (process is called photolysis)

03 + UV -> O2 + O
(Ozone + UV -> Oxygen + Oxygen 2).

- High energy ultraviolet radiation strikes on oxygen molecule and causes it to split into two free oxygen atoms.
- The free oxygen atoms collide with molecules of oxygen to form ozone.

The champan process of ozone destruction:
- Ozone absorbs a range of ultraviolet radiation splitting the molecule into one free oxygen atom and one molecule ordinary oxygen.
- The free oxygen atom then can collide with an ozone molecule to form two molecules of oxygen.

About the greenhouse effect, its simply. Ozone takes all the remaining oxygen molecules / atoms in the atmosphere. Because of this, more UV light reaches the Earth's surface and heats up the planet.

(I think thats what you meant. Feel free to correct me on the ozone thingo, cause I hate chemistry, and ozone was always the worst topic for me :))

(enigma)

no soup for you
HSC
Peek-a-boo!!! said:
hEY evrione. Can some tell me the chemical compostion of CFCs and linking it to ozone depletion and also the effect of greenhouse gases on global warming?( can u explain the process of greenhouse gases and UV radiation pleaz? Thank you. Im so lost.:confused:
basically, when uv light is reacted with cfcs in low temperatures, chlorine is released.
eg. CCl3F --> CCl2F + Cl

this chlorine reacts with ozone in the ozone layer, breaking it down and forming chlorine oxide, which then seperates to form oxygen and chlorine again, so more ozone can be broken down.
eg. Cl + O3 --> ClO + O2 and then
ClO + O --> Cl + O2

if theres less ozone, then more uv radiation reaches the earths surface, which should raise the earths surface temperature. so since the cfcs have destroyed some of the ozone that blocks the radiation, they could be thought of as causing an increase in temperature.
did that cover it all? oh and were greenhouse gases meant to be tied into that, or was that a seperate point?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)