natural disaster case study (1 Viewer)

sensabully

hey i have to do a natural disaster case study for a hsc assessment and was wondering what you ppl thought would be a good one to do.

if u do reply soon.

thanx.

awe and if u have any info that might help can you send it to my email sens_abully@hotmail.com

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I did the Mt Pinatubo volcano eruption in the Phillipines in 1991. I think thats how u spell it. lol.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
i did newcastle quake, its gud cause it also helps ya wit the dot point on intra plate earthquakes on aussie continent, there is also a heap of info on it

em_516

bludging..
HSC
nearly everyone in my class did mount st helens in 1980..it's really easy to get info on..

Danoz The Great

HSC
TimeAndTide said:
Is this even a real subject? I've never heard of it.
LOL!!!

(It is, just hardly anybody does it, and alot of schools don't do it because there's not enough interest.)

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
When I did this assessment, I did the Anchorage (Alaska) earthquake (and the consequent tsunamis) that occured on the 27th of March, 1964. The main benefit of this was that it is very well documented both through text and illustration/photography (oh and there's a photo of a school split in half... my titlepage :D).

Earth & Environmental Science is a real subject, albeit a very easy one. For anyone wondering what subjects to chose, I urge you to choose this one; for you will have a very easy subject (however, you still need to excert a little effort) but it yields good results (the perfect subject). It was a relaxing subject from the otherwise rushed pace of many of my other subjects.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
u'll have to do 2 usually, safest to do a volcanic eruption and an earthquake. Mt Pinatubo and and Japanese earthquake should suffice. An EES is definately a subject to consider. It's easy, and if u put the effort in and get band 6, it's as good as any other science. another subject like this is 1unit religion. It scales as well as 3u maths ;)

HSC
ive just found out i have to do a case study and i want to do well in this subject so i was wondering if you guys can help me pick a natural disaster and tell me how u went and how much info there is on each and if relates well to the topic and syllabus

em_516

bludging..
HSC
erm..why don't you just use the examples already given? mt pinatubo, mt st helens and the newcastle earthquake are all really good case studies and are easy to find info on and relate to the syllabus etc. etc.

i COULD tell you of more natural disasters..but ees is completely out of my brain now lol..do any of those three and you're set..

Rolphy

HSC
yeah i had to do something like that a couple months back and i chose mt etna and i got 95 % so make sure u follow the assessment sheet so u dont miss out on marks

jameso7

HSC
how hard is it to find information on the technologies for detecting earth movement. nowhere has a good general summary of exactly how they work. does anyone have anything on that stuff?

Danoz The Great

HSC
http://www.usgs.gov/

I can't remember exactly where it is on the site (it's been a while) but I do remember using this site for this dotpoint and getting quite a lot of good info.

sarsha.dawn

HSC

Name: Kashmir earthquake (aka South Asian earthquake or the Great Pakistan earthquake)
Time: 8 October 2005
Description and effects of disaster: recording a magnitude of 7.6 and a depth of 20km this disaster caused landslides, wide spread destruction of buildings leaving a estimated 3.3 million homeless and took the lives of 79, 000, Pakistan’s official death toll.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)