How does dead poet's society relate to belonging. (1 Viewer)

HSC
anyone willing to give headers, or anyone who has previously used this text as a related with additional info.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, well it's definitely relevant in the movie.

*Characters can be broadly classed as romantic, composite or realist characters this is represented through the use of poetry to reflect the ideologies. It also shows the struggle between Mr Keating and other teachers (Recall the conversation where he the other teacher and him discuss "Show me a man with unfettered dreams and I will show you a happy man" which Keating retorts back with something like "Mens must have dreams, it was always such and such will be).
*Conformity is a negative way to belong, think the strict school uniform and the juxtaposition of the birds flying free. Also the state of the movie with the visual banners of the school values.
*The last scene is great, notice what characters stand up and say "O Captan, my Captain" (Walt Whitlam reference I think) and which don't HINT: Cameron is a realist and he doesn't.
*Neil's alienation is good to explore and catalyses to his suicide-the thorny wreath on his head is a biblical allusion.
*Todd's a good character to explore for belonging-he changes and develops throughtout the movie as he gains a more assured sense of self identity.

Just my first thoughts that sprang to mind. You should easily be able to pick belonging out of that movie, I haven't seen it in awhile.

HSC
N/A
Hi,

The notion of identity is probably the most widely addressed and complex issue of the film. Consider each character's search for acceptance (whether by the school, peers, parents, etc.) You could also consider the contrast between individual and group identity, and societal expectations (e.g. Todd's initial compliance with Nolan's request, and his eventual rebellion). You could consider the relationships the characters have with each other, the lack of meaningful connections to the school environment, the rejection of values of strict discipline and tradition, etc. Relevant to the rubric, you could consider the potential of an individual to enrich or challenge a group/community (i.e. Keating). You could also consider how different characters perceive 'belonging' differently (Todd vs. Cameron; Neil vs. his parents, etc.), or how their attitudes change over time.

Kind regards,
Delta Education

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)