Related texts for Peter Skrzynecki and Shuan Tan? (1 Viewer)

Mattlimey

HSC
Hi, so for an assessment I need one written and one visual text.
I have to consider the following points:
- What ideas about Belonging does the text convey?
- what techniques does the composer use to represent their of Belonging?
- How is your related text different or similar to the prescribed text, 'Immigrant Chronicles' by Peter Skrzynecki?
I have chosen 'The Arrival' by Shaun Tan for my visual. I don't know any written texts that compliments with Tan's book.
Any suggestions (poems would be nice)?

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
Hi :) your related text doesn't have to compliment the other related text; in fact i recommend that you choose something a little different that still conveys similar aspects of belonging.

I'll emphasise one point in particular: 'THE ARRIVAL' IS THE MOST WIDELY OVER-USED RELATED TEXT FOR BELONGING. It is so over-used to the point that some teachers are recommending students to steer clear of it as it is a running joke amongst markers to see how many essays will contain 'The Arrival' in each session of HSC essay marking. I would NOT use it.

I have a couple of suggestions for excellent related texts if you're interested - just PM me :)

JmbCurran

HSC
N/A
I am currently doing the same texts as you and one of my related texts I am doing is "follow the rabbit proof fence" by Doris Pilkington.
its a true account of 3 sisters in 1931, three sisters age 8, 11 and 14 walked 1600km after escaping the confinement of a government institution for aboriginal children removed from their families. they are barefoot with no maps or provisions, following the rabbit proof fence home.

its an easy read and not hard to study
would totally recommend it

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Shaun Tan is horribly, horribly overdone. That's not to say you can't top the state with it, but you should choose a text that demonstrates wide, interesting exposure to literature to give you that extra tiny edge.

A sophisticated-sounding foreign film is usually the go-to copout that works rather well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)