Blit's guide to choosing related text for Discovery :) (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
The Rubric Says
Discovery can encompass the experience of discovering something for the first time or rediscovering something that has been lost, forgotten or concealed. Discoveries can be sudden and unexpected, or they can emerge from a process of deliberate and careful planning evoked by curiosity, necessity or wonder. Discoveries can be fresh and intensely meaningful in ways that may be emotional, creative, intellectual, physical and spiritual. They can also be confronting and provocative. They can lead us to new worlds and values, stimulate new ideas, and enable us to speculate about future possibilities. Discoveries and discovering can offer new understandings and renewed perceptions of ourselves and others.

An individual’s discoveries and their process of discovering can vary according to personal, cultural, historical and social contexts and values. The impact of these discoveries can be far-reaching and transformative for the individual and for broader society. Discoveries may be questioned or challenged when viewed from different perspectives and their worth may be reassessed over time. The ramifications of particular discoveries may differ for individuals and their worlds

By exploring the concept of discovery, students can understand how texts have the potential to affirm or challenge individuals’ or more widely-held assumptions and beliefs about aspects of human experience and the world. Through composing and responding to a wide range of texts, students may make discoveries about people, relationships, societies, places and events and generate new ideas. By synthesising perspectives, students may deepen their understanding of the concept of discovery. Students consider the ways composers may invite them to experience discovery through their texts and explore how the process of discovering is represented using a variety of language modes, forms and features.

http://www.englishteacher.com.au/Po...erence papers/Innovation13/Discovery1111.pptx.

http://www.englishteacher.com.au/Po...ocs/Free Resources/DISCOVERY FREE PPT (1).pdf
(Worth downloading)

What types of Discovery should/may our related text explore?

• Human experience => How it can change/discoveries
=> Discoveries of an emotional or intellectual nature, discoveries about themselves or the world they live in.
=> May broaden our view point on different events, people, ourselfs
• Idea of new discoveries=> ideas, beliefs, lands, spiritual enlightment
• Discoveries may challenge ideas, values, belief system
• Discoveries may be sudden or expected, or may be as a result of careful planning

Types of Related Texts

• Film & TV
• Poetry
• Fiction
• Non Fiction
• Newspaper articles, media releases
• Graphic Novel
• Picture/Painting
• Song (Not recommended for most people taking HSC English. This is because you actually need to analyse the composition e.g. tone, melody etc. and not just the lyrics. Unless you have the technical skill/ability of a music student you should steer clear of it.)

Recommendations/Suggestions

Youtube
"Unsung Hero" TVC Thai Life Insurance - Winner of Best Ad 2014

Film
• Into the Wild
• Independence Day
• Interstellar (recommended by turntaker)
• Finding Nemo (recommended by astroman. Unless talented at bullshitting complex arguments, probably best to stay clear of it).
• The pursuit of Happiness
• Boyhood
• One short film (6 mins)Paperman- suggested by pikachu975

Video
• Moon landing 1969
• The Candidate (recommended by HSCdiscovery online)
School’s Out: Lessons from a Forest Kindergarten - nonfiction

Written text
• Plato's philosophical dialogue, Allegory of the Cave suggested by dirty_ink

Short films
• Tropfest Suggestions?
• The Pencil ~[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcd8gly5vhE

(englishteacherassociation nsw)
• The Eagleman Stag- essayqueen

Non-Fiction
* Maos last dancer - suggested by kitfinchy

Fiction
• Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
• Adventures of Tom Sawyer
• Heart of Darkness-Conrad
• The Lock Artist - Steve Hamilton
• Dominion (J.L. Bryan)
• The Hitchikers Guide to The Galaxy
• Requiem Itani, Frances
• The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
• The Silver Donkey
• Around the World in 80 days
• Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
• The Odyssey
• Extremely loud and incredibly close
• Through The Looking Glass
• Tom's Midnight Garden
• The Time Machine HG Wells
• A Little Princess Frances Hodgson Burnett
• Journey to the Centre of the Earth
• Catcher in the Rye (suggested by EarthSci34)
• Persepolis (A graphic novel, suggested by Mikasa)
• Crime and Punishment ( look through lens of human experience)
• The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho (recommended by Turntaker)
• To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee (recommended by wishingstars - Probably be done by a lot of people, however lots of support material will be available)
• Alice to Wonderland (Suggested by Axio :p )
• If This Is a Man Primo Levi
• Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie suggested by SuchSmallHands
• Into the Wild Jon Krakauer
• White Fang - Jack London
• Perks of being a wallflower -Mathew587
• The Secret Garden- Frances Hodgson Burnett(Tash12337 suggested)
• The little princess -Frances Hodgson Burnett
• The Hound of the baskervilles-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
• The Goldfinch- Donna Tatt suggested by lightthefuze
• Of mice and men john steinbeck suggested by BzR_My
• 1984 George Orwell (Would also be good for People and Politics unit)
• Treasure Island- Robert Louis Stevenson
• Journey to the Interior - Margaret Atwood suggested by Gumball
• The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan (suggested by jazzyjay_97)
• Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
•Flowers for Algernon-suggested by sourmilk
•Never Let Me Go- Kazuo Ishiguro suggested by Son of Thatcher

Poetry
• The Highwayman ~ ALFRED NOYES
• Daddy (By Sylvia Plath) suggested by SuchSmallHands
• True Discovery of Australia ~ James, McAuley
http://www.poetrylibrary.edu.au/poets/mcauley-james/the-true-discovery-of-australia-0151028
• Homo Suburbiensis - Poem by Donald Bruce Dawe
http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/homo-suburbiensis/
• Mid-Term Break -Seamus Heaney
http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/seamus_heaney/poems/12698
• Invictus-William Ernest Henley suggested by seerat
• The Door by Miroslav Holub suggested by jimbo97
• Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson suggested by atargainz
• Eeldrop and Appleplex by T.S Eliot suggested by atargainz

Short Stories
• Neighbours - Tim Winton
• The Pedestrian- Bradbury
• The Tell tale heart - Poe
• The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Conan Arthur Doyle (suggested by lightthefuze)
• The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant - suggested by hawkrider
• Carcinoma Angels by Norman Spinrad - suggested by Blue Suede
http://hermiene.net/short-stories/carcinoma_angels.html
• The Three Princes of Serendip suggested by Tim03
• Butterfly - Sonya Hartnett ~ wishingstars
• Looking Into a Beechwood Shack by Zahid Gamieldien suggested by atargainz

Picture Books
• The Lost Thing- Shaun Tan
• The Rabbits John Marsden suggested by Kat92
• Oh the places you will go by Dr Seuss suggested by scc4life

Documentaries
• David Attenbrough's Great Barrier Reef(Series) - Survival(final) (Lots of personification of the reef/camera angles etc!)

News Article
• Rock art discovery paints new human history
http://app.griffith.edu.au/news/2014/10/09/rock-art-discovery-paints-new-human-history/

Paintings/Artwork
• Guernica Pablo Picasso
• The histrionic wayfarer (after Bosch), by Tim Storrier (suggested by Tash12337)
• Discovery of Adam ~William Holbrook Beard
• Domestic Struggle ~ William Holbrook Beard
• Little Accident ~ William Holbrook Beard
• The Grey Tree, Piet Mondrian, oil painting, 1911
*Painting by Francisco Goya of Saint Francis Borgia performing an exorcism.

Comics
• Leunig's works, e.g Leunig's tribute to Peter Rawlinson
http://www.acfonline.org.au/news-media/news-features/peter-rawlinson-conservation-award

Prescribed texts from another modules

Remember to check your related text isn't a prescribed text in another module as it is hardier to develop original ideas as more people are doing it.

• A Brave New World - (Prescribed text from another module.
• Life of Pi is also a prescribed text
• A Beautiful Mind is a prescribed text so don't do it
• The Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Coleridge(prescribed text)
• Gulliver's Travels (prescribed text)
• 2001 space odyssey(prescribed text)

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english-prescriptions-2015-20.pdf

Keep suggesting related texts guys :)

Last edited:

zhertec

HSC
Link says page not found lel xD, but thanks for the tips green tree frog :3 Btw could you give us some tips on how to improve english, well like what was your way of studying and improve your ranks?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Link says page not found lel xD, but thanks for the tips green tree frog :3 Btw could you give us some tips on how to improve english, well like what was your way of studying and improve your ranks?
Well probably the 'easiest' method I've found to improve ranks for english is try to come up with unique analysis/ ideas about the book.
Doing a related text which not many people have chosen also helps (avoid using popular ones is probably easiest as you are less likely to over lap ideas)

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Hey blit, A Brave New World is actually a prescribed text for one of the modules ( Mod C I think) so I don't think it'll be allowed to be used as a related

siggy

HSC
Thanks Blit! But as said before the link isn't working :(

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey blit, A Brave New World is actually a prescribed text for one of the modules ( Mod C I think) so I don't think it'll be allowed to be used as a related
Oh good point thanks Justem

It wouldn't be a good idea to use a perscribed text from another module..

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
So has anyone got opinions on what type of text is the best? A book or a film? Personally I really want to do a film and think they're the easiest but do people think a book would be better / higher marked?

Also - is life of pi a prescribed text, the film in particular?
You can do both, because you can have more than one related text. A book is not any highly marked than a film, there really is no such preference for forms on the part of the markers, their central concern is whether you have answered the question or not, the more you answer the question, the better your related text is conceptually answering the particular discovery rubric demanded, the more marks you will get:)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
So has anyone got opinions on what type of text is the best? A book or a film? Personally I really want to do a film and think they're the easiest but do people think a book would be better / higher marked?

Also - is life of pi a prescribed text, the film in particular?

Pretty sure life of Pi is a perscribed text in this module?

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
is the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy really as analytically deep as HSC markers would like? they're my favoruite books, but is it really appropriate to be analysed?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
is the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy really as analytically deep as HSC markers would like? they're my favoruite books, but is it really appropriate to be analysed?
Every text has the potential to be analysed brilliantly, what makes you think it might not be appropriate to be analysed?

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Every text has the potential to be analysed brilliantly, what makes you think it might not be appropriate to be analysed?
im not sure, i just thought that it maybe didn't have much of an underlying meaning... like i didn't feel it when i read the book.

You know when you watch a big movie or read a thought-provoking book and you can feel the incredible depth of analysis that you could achieve. Maybe i just read these when i was in yr 7 and didnt really get the themes involved, but idk im still pretty young and havent done that much good text analysis so maybe in year 12 ill have more experience with that and could analyse HGTTG well. i love the way its written - with all the off-topic rambles and comedy but im not sure how i would go about analysing it. For discovery, i sort of see how that would link though... maybe

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
im not sure, i just thought that it maybe didn't have much of an underlying meaning... like i didn't feel it when i read the book.

You know when you watch a big movie or read a thought-provoking book and you can feel the incredible depth of analysis that you could achieve. Maybe i just read these when i was in yr 7 and didnt really get the themes involved, but idk im still pretty young and havent done that much good text analysis so maybe in year 12 ill have more experience with that and could analyse HGTTG well. i love the way its written - with all the off-topic rambles and comedy but im not sure how i would go about analysing it. For discovery, i sort of see how that would link though... maybe
Then just choose another related text that you feel more confident in analysing:)There is not much point in forcing yourself to analyse a text that you can't find much meaning in.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Then just choose another related text that you feel more confident in analysing:)There is not much point in forcing yourself to analyse a text that you can't find much meaning in.
yeah ill do that when the time comes :) totally agree

chobui11

HSC
Do you guys have any tips for actually linking the concept of discovery to the texts (I'm analysing American Gods, Pan's Labyrinth and Dante's Inferno).

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hypothetically couldn't you choose a belonging text and discuss how its a discovery to a realisation of feeling at peace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)