How to study for a listening task AOS Discovery? (1 Viewer)

callipygian

HSC
We had an unseen film extract for our first AOS task. It's semi-unpreparable, but if yours was the same as mine, where we had to reference our core text, do prepare two flexible paragraphs on your studied text.

While they're playing the piece, make the most comprehensive notes on techniques that you can. Ignore storyline, focus on any possible techniques and bs the analysis, because that's what will set you apart from the cohort. Leave ~5 mins for planning your bs.

I'd also recommend doing a couple of practices and handing them into a teacher, because this is a fairly different style of exam and requires a bit of practice to get your head around it. Practice with your notes there, and then practice without, and get your teacher to mark them if they're okay with it.

Don't stress too much; most likely no-one in your year group will have ever done an exam like this so they'll all be freaking out, but it's not that bad if you go in with an open mind and a flexible plan :)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
um know your listening techniques. my first assessment was also a listening assessment as well. its not usually a song. its usually a radio podcast/broadcast.
(my school does it every year).

its like languages, it is played twice. The first time through, write down as much quotes as you can relevant to the question/discovery. Then second time through look for techniques...

breitil

HSC
Learn all your aural/visual techniques well because its probably going to be a video (ted talk probs) or radio segment. Also, know your rubric inside out so you can always relate it back to Discovery.

screwuhsc

HSC
know ya stuff on the prescribed i guess and defs know all your techniques people dont study for that but if u know your techniques its easier to pinpoint it on the spot than rather thinking of what technique it is and that would lead to wasting time which may bring your downfall.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Know your ''Aural Techniques''
These include:
- Dramatic pause
- Emphasis
- Imperatives i.e. orders
- Inflection - modulation of voice which indicates a question or tension
- Interjection
- Mode of delivery - e.g. using rhetorical questions
- Pace/Tempo
- Register - formal/informal
- Sound - perhaps diagetic or non-diagetic music
- Talking - dialogue, duologue, soliloquy, monologue
- Tone
- Truncated sentences
- Volume - loud, soft

Not sure if you have a comprehension/short answer-based task or essay task or both but I'll cover both anyways:

Listening Task - Comprehension Task
- Record down any key 'quotes' that you hear.
- Then using these quotes, along with your aural techniques, you should be able to answer the questions.

Listening Task - Essay Task
- Same thing. Record quotes and aural techniques used by the composer. These will help you form body paragraphs.
- In terms of what you need to study? Your prescribed text. Prepare paragraphs/analysis and know it.

Introduction - introduce your argument and the ideas in your prescribed texts (if applicable, maybe related text too but I'll assume the listening task text will be your related in this case) and the listening task text.

B1 - Idea/Theme 1 - Prescribed
B2 - Idea/Theme 1 - Listening Task Text
B3 - Idea/Theme 2 - Prescribed
B4 - Idea/Theme 2 - Listening Task Text

Conclusion

Good luck!

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Could practice listening to a youtube clip..

And noteing down techniques etc?

iStudent

HSC
Perhaps explain a little bit about your listening task? (structure etc)

My listening task had a comprehension section (simple 1-3 markers based on the excerpt) and a mini essay at the end (around 6ish marks). If your task is similar then I may be able to explain how I studied for it.

MzRobinHood97

HSC

My listening task had a comprehension section (simple 1-3 markers based on the excerpt) and a mini essay at the end (around 6ish marks). If your task is similar then I may be able to explain how I studied for it.
Yes! That's how it's going to be set up :) We listen to a podcast then do some comprehension questions and then one mini essay :)

GVICsweets

HSC

hello, can you pls help and tell how you revised for the listening task

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)