Self selected text for belonging!? (1 Viewer)

aycaramba

HSC
N/A
Hi! I need some self selected texts for the AOS Belonging!! It has to be something "substantial", "intelligent" and "texts that aren't overused" (Yes, those were the exact words my teacher used) and it can be either a poem, short film, speech or a short story, but preferably a short story 10+ pages long or something like that, and as long as I can manage to write a 1000+ word essay out of it, I'm good. Any suggestions??

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
A Perfect Snow-Nora Martin
We need to talk about Kevin- Lionel Shriver
First they Killed My Father - Luong Ung
Wild Swans-
*Antigone - Sophocles

calamebe

HSC
Hey, I have a related question, as I am in year 11 I also need to choose a related text for belonging. I am thinking about choosing a novel from the A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series, from GoT to SoS (I'm up to AFFC now). I was thinking that everything that happens with Sansa Stark in the novel would be perfect for an analysis on belonging, especially in the second and third books. There are also other characters who I could probably do some analysis on, such as Tyrion and Caitlin. However, some things I am concerned about: I'm not really sure if choosing such a long novel would be a disadvantage, and I also just am not sure if it would be a good text for belonging. Does anyone have any opinion on this? Thanks!

theKingPin

HSC
I'm doing belonging as well and our prescribed text is the poetry of Emily Dickinson. Its really good and has lots of depth and historical significance. I would recommend you study it if you still haven't chosen.

calamebe

HSC
Sadly we are doing a poem and so cannot choose any poetry for the related text

aycaramba

HSC
N/A
Hmmm...thanks for the suggestions guys! But I'd rather have something that isn't that well known, if you know what i'm sayin.
And @calam, choosing a long novel would definitely not put you at a disadvantage since you'll have heaps to write about. Also, since I've neither read nor watched The Game of Thrones, I wouldn't know if it's a good text for belonging.

calamebe

HSC
Hmmm...thanks for the suggestions guys! But I'd rather have something that isn't that well known, if you know what i'm sayin.
And @calam, choosing a long novel would definitely not put you at a disadvantage since you'll have heaps to write about. Also, since I've neither read nor watched The Game of Thrones, I wouldn't know if it's a good text for belonging.
Would I have to necessarily write heals about it, couldn't I take certain parts from the novel and use those to form my arguments in my essay? I could be completely wrong, I am not that good at English, but still I feel as though I could.

aycaramba

HSC
N/A
Would I have to necessarily write heals about it, couldn't I take certain parts from the novel and use those to form my arguments in my essay? I could be completely wrong, I am not that good at English, but still I feel as though I could.
Well yeah, that's what I meant....??

aycaramba

HSC
N/A
Thanks again for the suggestions, (although I'm really looking for a short story to work with) !! ^^"

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks again for the suggestions, (although I'm really looking for a short story to work with) !! ^^"
The Pedestrian - Bradbury
Seems to be a pretty underused short story

Neighbours-Tim Winton
(Used a lot?)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Oh owo I used The Pedestrian for Year 11 Power...I thought Bradbury was popular

But to be honest, your teacher is asking for a related text which sounds like it requires you to go out and read books and look for themes of belonging yourself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)