Should we pick the film version or the book version of a text as a related? (1 Viewer)

Pbeast69

HSC
I was thinking of doing "in the wild" as my related text but it has a film version and book version. Which one to choose?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on what your core texts are. if the core text is a film, then pick the book; if your core text is a book, pick the film;
otherwise pick the one that:
- demonstrates the most competency with the different medium forms in terms of techniques; so for instance, written media vs. visual media/theatre have very different techniques and so it may be if you can pull it off, be able to compare them easily (I think of Frankenstein vs. Blade runner kind of matching works well, in terms of matching a written with a non-written form)
- is easier to analyse. it may be worth watching the film as well as reading the book, to make that assessment. Films generally are easier to comment on techniques especially in the film making process, such as music, lighting, shot angles, transitions, plot, character development etc.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with the above. You should also consider what text types you are more confident in analysing/whether you have enough time left to analyse, usually e.g. it will take longer to read a novel than it takes to watch a movie (of course this will to some degree dependent on how long the relevant novel is). The most important thing though is always going to be where you are most confident to draw out relevant discovery concept ideas between your chosen related and prescribed texts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)