PORTFOLIO of texts on the concept of DISCOVERY (1 Viewer)

alial

HSC
Hey guys i literally made an account just to ask this and get some feed back. I was wondering if people could recommend some discovery texts i could use for my portfolio. I just need some texts with a wide range of information online that i can refer to. Thanks to anyone who takes time out of their day to reply :D! (btw I haven't started because i am ignorant but i am going to grind hard and send drafts to teachers soon)

HSC
I'd recommend short stories or small novels. You don't want to be doing poems unless you're really proficient at drawing out complex ideas from short and cryptic sentences. Conversely, avoid choosing long, arduous novels that are ridiculously long for obvious reasons, no need to create more work for yourself. I'd also steer clear of movies and the like because it's often difficult to effectively explain the techniques contained. However, if you're confident by all means.

Personally, I chose the novel Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro which revolved around unknowing clones who were deliberately engineered for forced organ donation. This ended up being pretty good for the HSC as the question related to emotional discovery which was essentially the entire premise of the book.

Of course we can help you, but ultimately you'll have to research some texts on your own; you're far likelier to do well with texts that you are actually interested in instead of something chosen simply because it's popular.

sourmilk

HSC
I really recommend 'Flowers for Algernon' which is both a full length novel and a short story, depending how much time you have. The short story was excelletn and compelling - and really fufilled every element of the rubric. However, there's only a sparknotes page full of the information. The techniques are pretty easy to find.

However, there's a lot of resources for Catcher in the Rye littered everywhere on the internet.

alial

HSC
wow sounds like my school is the only one that made us do 6 different texts. thanks for the responses though, they really helped!!

alial

HSC
pendle hill high school // Criteria:
Submit 6 texts from different text types dealing with the concept of Discovery. You need too
Paste a photocopy of covers of books and DVDs and copies of poems, short stories and visuals on
a separate page before your analysis.
o Explore the concept of Discovery as developed in each of the texts.

HSC
pendle hill high school // Criteria:
Submit 6 texts from different text types dealing with the concept of Discovery. You need too
Paste a photocopy of covers of books and DVDs and copies of poems, short stories and visuals on
a separate page before your analysis.
o Explore the concept of Discovery as developed in each of the texts.
Sounds like the school is just trying to get all of you prepared early, using a variety texts I might add.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys i literally made an account just to ask this and get some feed back. I was wondering if people could recommend some discovery texts i could use for my portfolio. I just need some texts with a wide range of information online that i can refer to. Thanks to anyone who takes time out of their day to reply :D! (btw I haven't started because i am ignorant but i am going to grind hard and send drafts to teachers soon)
One poem I see recommended a lot is Invictus by William Henley! One short film (6 mins) is Paperman. You can also do short stories, movies, and more.

sourmilk

HSC
You're not the only one! My first HSC assessment for English was also a portfolio. It consisted of an essay, short story, and I think an analysis of a picture. Honestly it does help you in the long run! Especially since the creative happened to be my final one I wrote in the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)