Has anyone ever gotten a Band 6 in English without reading the entire book... (1 Viewer)

kendallkreene

HSC
and by relying on summaries on the Internet and the teacher's notes and explanations during class?

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
I know a student in 2016 who did really well and he never read his texts. On the same token I know numerous students who read the texts thoroughly and did well too. I'm planning to read my text and I'd advise most people to do the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anton93

HSC
N/A
I came 10th out of around 120 students in a top 20ish selective school this year for advanced.
I'm pretty sure I'll get a band 6. As for not reading texts, I read my AOS texts and Mod B texts a couple of times since they were both really short. I skimmed 1984 in about 2 hours twice, once before trials, once before HSC and read sparknotes + shmoop chapter summaries and a lot on context instead. For Mod C I rushed King Henry IV about a week before the HSC and wasn't bothered looking up summaries so I mostly worked off my teacher's explanations in class.
I definitely wasn't naturally good at English either, I consistently got around 10/20 in my junior english essays. Can't say anything about extensions but I'd guess the same applies.
But, I would advise that you read all your texts unless you're a massive procrastinator or have a few days left for an upcoming task. Since your HSC is ages away, I'd suggest you try read all your texts at least once as a bare minimum if you want to be sure of getting a band 6.

Last edited:

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
Just read the entire book

or try to

This applies more so for the other modules rather than the Area of Study, but:

What if in the exam, they give you a quote from the text as part of the question (e.g. explain ____ with detailed reference to the quote below) and you have no idea who said it/which part it's from/what it's about????

It's happened before to people :(

dOn'T rIsK iT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)