Creative writing: prepare one or wing it (1 Viewer)

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Hey guys, I just got my creative writing assessment back for English, and I got 17/20. It was the best creative I've ever written, so I wanna be happy with my efforts. However, I prepared for this about 4 weeks in advance just trying to get my story right, and I only improved by one mark (I usually get 16/20). And as marks came out, there were kids in English Standard who didn't hand in a draft and made their story up on the day, and got 19-20/20. I'm starting to doubt whether I'm actually doing the right thing by doing a lot of preparation for creative writing, and I'm starting to think that spontaneity and making it up on the day is a better idea. What do you guys do?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Prepare because it's really hard to make up a good plot, characters, discovery and key descriptions in 40 minutes

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah definitely prepare one, and keep giving your drafts to your teacher for feedback until you're both confident it's a solid 19 or 20/20 or whatever its getting marked out of

tazhossain99

HSC
Prepare. Use the 'Prepare Cycle' >>
1. Make a draft piece
2. Hand in to teacher
3. Get roasted by teacher
4. Use roast for betterment
5. Repeat steps 2-4 until no roasts given by teacher
6. Try 'molding' piece to a range of stimuli from past papers and google images
7. Get 20/20

if only it were that easy :cry:

Last edited:

captainneuro

HSC
And as marks came out, there were kids in English Standard who didn't hand in a draft and made their story up on the day, and got 19-20/20.
Those are usually one off sorta things, it’s extremely difficult to make up a band 6 creative writing on the spot in the time limit given, especially under pressure (exam conditions) You’re better off trying to perfect this 17/20 creative you’ve received and use it throughout your hsc year, improving upon it every single time leading up to the actual hsc exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)