question about AOS essays (1 Viewer)

phunkyy

HSC
Hey guys,
So for discovery, my school is studying six of Robert Frost's poems for the prescribed text. My question is, in exams, will they explicitly tell you which poems you have to use, or can you choose any? is it better to study all six poems or just know 2 or 3 in depth?

Also in the HSC will they ever ask you to use TWO related texts?

Thanks!

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
In past history, the HSC has only asked for 2 related texts once, being in 2008. Most years state "At least ONE" or "Only ONE." However, NESA is still capable of throwing a curve ball but I doubt their chances of asking for TWO related texts.

To answer your original question, I am assuming that you only have to mention one of his poems. The HSC Exam paper itself will not explicitly tell you which to use, so it will be up to your own intuition to choose a paper that will adequately answer the question in the paper. Additionally, I would ask your English teacher as he/she will best know the answer to this question.

Also nice to see someone else doing the same subjects as me, Best of Luck :)

Acing

HSC
I also studied Robert Frost's anthology of poems. In my experience, it's helpful to know key quotes from all 6 poems for internal assessments as they can sometimes specify (e.g. blah blah blah... To what extent does Home Burial, ONE other poem from Robert Frost's anthology of poems and ONE text of your own choosing...).

For HSC, I literally only knew three poems (Home Burial, Mending Wall, After Apple Picking). I personally preferred to discuss two poems + one related text only. But yeah, also ask your teacher what he/she thinks.

Good luck!

Robbie M

HSC
supR is correct on this one, in the HSC they could potentially ask for your core text and two other related texts, although this is incredibly rare and for AOS it is quite easy to adapt one of your other modules to fit the question. But there's no harm in writing up one more paragraph.

Haramsnackpack

HSC
Typically 2 poems are considered 1 text for all HSC modules. So you can expect a question that says 'refer to two Robert Frost poems + 1 related text'. As Acing said above, they are most likely to specify one of the Robert Frost poems and then give you a free choice to the other one, so it is best to prepare one paragraph very well on one of his poems (which you can always use for the 'other'), and then memorise quotes/technique/brief analysis for the other 5 poems.

For the related text, they will typically ask for 'at least one' so you only need to prepare one. However, if it does specify 2 you can just adapt one of the related texts you use for another module e.g. Module C.

phunkyy

HSC
In past history, the HSC has only asked for 2 related texts once, being in 2008. Most years state "At least ONE" or "Only ONE." However, NESA is still capable of throwing a curve ball but I doubt their chances of asking for TWO related texts.

To answer your original question, I am assuming that you only have to mention one of his poems. The HSC Exam paper itself will not explicitly tell you which to use, so it will be up to your own intuition to choose a paper that will adequately answer the question in the paper. Additionally, I would ask your English teacher as he/she will best know the answer to this question.

Also nice to see someone else doing the same subjects as me, Best of Luck :)
yeah i'll probably just focus on one related text but memorise a few things from my other one just in case haha. Rip though if they do decide to specify two related texts for the first time in like 10 years. Good luck to you too!

phunkyy

HSC
thanks guys! I'm probably going to just focus on three poems in depth and memorise the main quotes from other poems in case :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)