Discovery Essay Thesis Help Please? (1 Viewer)

jswimj

HSC
Hi everyone,
For school, we have to write a practice essay on discovery for AOS, in which the question is 'Discoveries can be confronting and provocative: Analyse how your texts support or challenge this view'

My prescribed text is Robert Frost poetry, and my two poems I have chosen are Stopping by the woods and Tuft of flowers.
I was thinking about doing the new movie "The greatest showman" as my related text. What do you think?

But this is my thesis: It is undoubtedly true that an individual’s discovery can be confronting and provocative, which can often result in new realisations and self-reflection.

Do you think this is a good/strong thesis? What could I change?

Thanks heaps

phat_tar

HSC
Uni Grad
A film as a related text is not necessarily a bad idea, in fact, it can be very useful in differentiating you from your peers, however, whilst I haven't seen the greatest showman I would recommend you do a film with a bit more credibility or even better, a classic. Doing a classic immediately elevates you because of the film's reputation and gives you more avenues to talk about, i.e. most classics were innovative in both or either technical features or the actual content of plot in their respective context. Your thesis is sound, I'd recommend you elaborate a bit more, what do these realisations do??

jswimj

HSC
Thank you!!! Are there any classics that you would recommend? And what were your thoughts on the poems I chose for the question and my thesis?

jswimj

HSC
Oh, and the greatest showman, although not a classic, I thought would be good, as there are so many areas related to the rubric and a lot of themes to discuss.

phat_tar

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh, and the greatest showman, although not a classic, I thought would be good, as there are so many areas related to the rubric and a lot of themes to discuss.
That could be very true, I would just clarify with your teacher first, again, I have not seen the film.

jswimj

HSC
Will do, thanks again!

What would you say I could add to my thesis to make it strong? And are the poems i have chosen good for the question?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)