Antithesis/juxtaposition/contrast (1 Viewer)

Kathy358

HSC
N/A
I'm struggling while trying to figure out the difference amongst antithesis, contrast and juxtaposition. I even found a page which gave the same example for both of antithesis and juxtaposition. Now I'm so confused.
Thanks a lot for your help

tklawl

HSC
N/A
From my understanding (or what I was told by my teachers):

Contrast = anything where two or more things are very different from one another. e.g. The contrast between notions of femininity and beauty of EBB's Sonnets from the Portuguese and Shakespeare's Sonnet 18.

Juxtaposition = the purposeful placement of two objects/colours/whatever side by side as to create a comparison between the two to evoke some meaning. e.g. The juxtaposition of the red sun and the blue ocean...

Antithesis = ideas/things which fundamentally contradict one another/are complete opposites. e.g. "Right and wrong" is an antithesis.

I don't know if this is 100% correct, but that is what I was told by a past senior HSC marker who continuously told me to stop using "juxtaposition" in the wrong places.

Both juxtaposition and antithesis are more specific types of contrast I guess?

Haramsnackpack

HSC
Contrast and juxtaposition are very similar (opposites e.g. happy/sad)- in terms of analysing your texts and providing quotes you can use them interchangeably. Antithesis refers to a result which was NOT expected (e.g. a character who appears very innocent throughout the text, but at the conclusion ends up being the villain, or a person who is typically very shy suddenly talks very loudly; they are an 'antithesis' to their character.)

MrSir

HSC
N/A
I teach my students that antithesis is an opposite e.g. hope is the antithesis of despair whereas juxtaposition is placing concepts side by side e.g. poverty and wealth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)