HSC mark question (1 Viewer)

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I've looked up a fair few threads and I've read and tried to understand the logics behind scaling, assessment moderation and the basics behind the UAI, but there's one thing I don't understand.

In Advanced English last year, the lowest possible HSC mark was 72.8 (highest being 97.6). This, to me, doesn't make a lot of sense.. this is apparently not the scaled mark so I interpret that as meaning nobody in NSW got a mark lower than 72.8 - which can't be true. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks in advance. :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
is that the weighted or whatever mark for the uai? where did u read it?

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I read it on a school computer's version of Lazseeker. It might have been UAISeeker, but I've never seen it before so I wouldn't know. I was entering test marks, and I tried 60, but it said 72.8 was the lowest mark in Advanced English.

The caption said that the HSC mark comprised of the average of the moderated assessment and your exam mark (I think).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
oh, thats just weird, i havent used lazseeker so i wouldn't know

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by honky tonk
I read it on a school computer's version of Lazseeker. It might have been UAISeeker, but I've never seen it before so I wouldn't know. I was entering test marks, and I tried 60, but it said 72.8 was the lowest mark in Advanced English.

The caption said that the HSC mark comprised of the average of the moderated assessment and your exam mark (I think).

Thats only considering the top 75th percentile... yes people do get lower, only they are in the bottom 25th percentile

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
The lowest mark was not 72.8. That mark was the HSC mark for the percentile 25 ie. 25% got a mark below that.

As for why Lazseeker had a similar problem. It was because they didn't have adequate statistics to predict marks which they didnt have information about.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Originally posted by Beaky
Thats only considering the top 75th percentile... yes people do get lower, only they are in the bottom 25th percentile
Thanks, I knew it seemed a little too weird. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)