capped subjects (1 Viewer)

stag_j

can anyone tell me what the caps are for subjects? i know that general maths is something like 80%, but i heard today that legal studies is capped too.
can anyone shed some light on this? or tell me a site that has this info?

Jeo

as far as i know, no subjects are "capped". its just that the bos reckon no one is good enough for certain bands in certain courses, i.e band 6 in standard eng..... i think thats what u mean...

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
yeh so i think standard eng is capped?
cos they assume if you get a high mark, you should be doing advanced

Jeo

HAHAHA w/e man ill set up something for you after my last exam tmrw! email me: dajesh@hotmail.com ........ and get me the 2003 CSSA paper for IPT today, and ill chuck in a dedicated server for free :p

Jeo

LOL!!!!! capped is same as limit.... e.g ur internet speed limit is 64KB/s in other words, your speed is capped at 64KB/s

Golani

oiiiii legal and business studies better not be capped, even tho they are shitti subjects

stag_j

well i always assumed they were normal subjects but today i heard that legal was capped too. i dont know how true this is tho, so i figured someone might know for sure.
there must be information somewhere that says what subjects are capped - it seems pretty unfair of them not to tell us...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
no subjects are capped
they just seem capped because ppl doing them are dumb and cant achieve the required standard set by BOS

edit: sorry, I take the 'dumb' bit back

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
In terms of aligned marks - being the marks that you're awarded by the Board - no courses are capped (as Minai pointed out).

However, a maximum scaled mark is imposed on some courses during the scaling process when UAIs are calculated. You can read about how this is done in the Report on the Scaling of the 2002 NSW HSC (produced by the Technical Committee on Scaling and published by the UAC).

Under this 'capping of scaled marks' regime, English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are never capped. In addition to this, only the top few percent of students are affected. The caps are not unreasonable - certainly not as low as 80%! The vast majority of courses have a maximum scaled mark near 50 (on a 1-unit basis).

I've constructed a page displaying which courses have, in the past, had a maximum scaled mark imposed on them. You should pay more attention to the 2002 listing than the listing for 2001, as it was produced from the same formula that will be applied for your HSC.

You can access it here: <a href=/capping.php target=_blank>Maximum Scaled Marks</a>

HannieStar

The standard overall for legal isn't that brilliant, thats all. If your school does options which aren't done as much (e.g world order and indigenous people) there is a better chance of doing well- well thats what an hsc marker told me

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
no subjects are capped
they just seem capped because ppl doing them are dumb and cant achieve the required standard set by BOS
Does that mean that if a really smart EE2 student did Standard English and applied the SAME effort into the learning texts etc. will achieve the same scaled mark in Standard English as in Advanced English?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by deyveed
Does that mean that if a really smart EE2 student did Standard English and applied the SAME effort into the learning texts etc. will achieve the same scaled mark in Standard English as in Advanced English?
To change your example a bit .. If a really smart Advanced student were to do Standard instead, they will prolly get a lower scaled mark than if they did Advanced, but might get a similar Aligned mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)