Equal first rank.. implications? (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
I just got my ranks for math, and got equal first. Its not a big class, so not that special :D

but anyways, does that mean that my internal class marks are not limited? Will the distribution of the internal class mark be tops (as if I'm no.1 alone) or will it be counted as if I'm rank 1.5? What happens if I get more than the guy who shares my rank etc..

but damn he beat me in 4unit :p

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
the average of yours and his will be the HSC mark i think

i think....

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Mmm, Ragerunner has the general idea - you will each receive a moderated assessment mark that is equal to the average of the top two examination marks (regardless of who achieves them).

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Not really, just 1 other person (unless you're plannin' to not go too well, then persuade 2). :p

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
So, if i'm rank equal first, i just have to persuade one person to do good.

But what if I'm rank 2? or rank 3? or rank 4? If I want a good internal assessment mark, do I have to persuade 1, 2 and 3 person to do good respectively, or do I have to persuade the whole class to do good?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The scales balancing the performance of the student ranked first and the performance of the rest of the class begin to tip as you move down from the rank 1 position. They move from one extreme (the performance of the student ranked first determining all) to another (the performance of the class determining all). The latter extreme is reached when your rank is so low that you're around the middle of the class (or below).

I would predict the 'equilibrium position', where the scales are perfectly balanced, and where the performance of the student ranked first and the performance of the rest of the class contribute equally, to be at approximately the 83rd percentile in the class. The percentile is equivalent to the cut-off for being placed in the top third of the top half of the class (which seemed appropriate).

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
argh lazarus, i dont understand that high level language :p

so I guess i have to persuade others to study on my subjects..

Originally posted by Exeter
thats a real shame
i couldn't do anything, and i dont think it was a big deal anyways..

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ergh, I'm sorry. :p

How about this... the further away you are from the guy ranked first, the better the rest of the class will have to go.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
hey.. i'm wondering if i can get equal first in my bio class.. currently i think the other dude would be like ~2 marks ahead.. with all assessments finished.. only bcuz i stuffed one 20% asst up pretty badly.. but otherwise we are pretty much exactly the same

i'm wondering are teachers allowed to" tweak" the results/asst marks? my bio teacher says when they are a few marks apart its really difficult, cuz the asst marks should reflect what the teahcer thingks we're gonna get in the hsc

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Mmm, Ragerunner has the general idea - you will each receive a moderated assessment mark that is equal to the average of the top two examination marks (regardless of who achieves them).
thats crap. i don't like that idea. if u were 1st alone and u came 1st in the hsc u'd get ur hsc mark as ur assess mark. but coz ur sharing the mark, if u come 1st in the hsc ur assess mark is going to be lowered

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
But how else can they change it to so it's fair ?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Ergh, I'm sorry. :p

How about this... the further away you are from the guy ranked first, the better the rest of the class will have to go.
Now that was digestable by my humble cerebral device! Ergo, elloquent uttering avoids to suit my predilection :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
But how else can they change it to so it's fair ?
yeah they can't

i think there's a bit of luck in the whole process

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
i'm wondering are teachers allowed to" tweak" the results/asst marks? my bio teacher says when they are a few marks apart its really difficult, cuz the asst marks should reflect what the teahcer thingks we're gonna get in the hsc
Hrmmmmm... they're not really meant to... but I know a lot of teachers do - if they feel that the assessment marks don't accurately reflect the relative differences between students. They can't actually change the rankings though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)