Unfairness? (1 Viewer)

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Today, our teacher told us that one of our assessment marks (applicable in sciences only as far as I know) would be deleted. So that the final rankings that would be sent to Board of Studies would be different from the one on our report mark.

The purpose is to not let us know our actual internal ranking.

I do not understand how this would work as I think this might advantage or disadvantage students. Does this case apply to other school as well? because I haven't heard anything from other departments apart from the science faculty.

is a roflcopter
HSC
why wouldnt a school want their students to know their internal rankings?

Azn fairies

yeah this happened in my math class as well. they send it to the person in charge ( i think it's the borad of studies) and they rank u according to the average of ur class and also they compare the top and bottom mark ... so the board of studies rank u .. not the school.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Azn fairies
yeah this happened in my math class as well. they send it to the person in charge ( i think it's the borad of studies) and they rank u according to the average of ur class and also they compare the top and bottom mark ... so the board of studies rank u .. not the school.
isn't that kinda different?

the idea is that, I will receive an 'internal' ranking on my report card base on all my assessment marks. HOWEVER, the actual internal assessment ranks that would be sent to the BoS from school, would be based on All assessments except for one (which the teachers would take out).

does that make any sense?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
what?? i don't undertsand...since when did we have TWO rank? One internal ranking and one assessment ranking??

WHAT??

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
u have the right to know ur internal rank. well wait till nov and then u can look it up uself on the net.

i have not heard of this happening before!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Survivor39 - there is only one rank. sugaryblue is a special case, as his/her school decided to change the assessment program at the last minute (which, as a sidenote, they should not be doing).

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
My school has something similar. We have a Rank and a Progressive Rank. The Rank is the rank we get after ALL assessments are done even if they don't count towards the HSC. The Progessive Rank is a rank we get based on the HSC assessment marks.
So we usually disregard the Ranks unless we want to compare "who's smarter".

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
we're not allowed to know our internal ranking either. for our report they only use our trial exam mark..so we just have to try and figure it out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)