someone explain relative difference (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey if i am comming second and there's like an 8 mark gap b/w me and da first guy, well how would that translate, to the hsc assessment marks???

i mean, when u say "relative difference is preserved", does that mean that i am actually gonna get 8 less marks in my assessment mark in the hsc? if not how much marks below will (in the usual case) i get in my hsc assessment mark?:(

Jeo

no one knows except the people at bos playing with ur life!! HAHA JK

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Jesh
no one knows except the people at bos playing with ur life!! HAHA JK
i mean don't u know friends from last year etc. who had like a fairly big gap....what did they end up gettin' fer their moderated assessment marks?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
Not a clue, don't have details of the algorithm used, not to mention the fact I wouldn't understand it. :)...

maybe the smart people in this thread (like Laz) might know so thats why i asked...or otherwise u can just tell me SPECIFIC examples of marks of people last year, and how it compared to their relative differences...:)

Jeo

i had this friend that got 0 for assessment and 100 for exam, so he got 50 as his hsc mark

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
i had this friend that got 0 for assessment and 100 for exam, so he got 50 as his hsc mark
this is impossible since he wouldn't have received his hsc due 2 the numerous "non performance" awards he got.

Jeo

his school doesn't give NP awards or w/e they are

Jeo

yeah btw i was joking..... i dont know man.. i asked this similar q before, and laz gave me some big gaps that have happened in the past

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah btw i was joking..... i dont know man.. i asked this similar q before, and laz gave me some big gaps that have happened in the past
was the question the subject of an earlier thread????

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Jesh's question was slightly different.

When 'relative differences are maintained', it just means that all students will be as far ahead and as far behind after the moderating process as they were before it.

If you're 8 marks behind, and the moderating process compresses the distribution of marks by a factor of 2, you'll be 4 marks behind (but relative to the rest of the class, the difference hasn't changed).

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Jesh's question was slightly different.

If you're 8 marks behind, and the moderating process compresses the distribution of marks by a factor of 2, you'll be 4 marks behind (but relative to the rest of the class, the difference hasn't changed).
well do they tell u how much the distribution of marks are compressed or is it based on some "other" algorithm? :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's essentially either 'compressed' or 'stretched' so that it matches the range of the exam marks for that class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)