Misadventure/Marks (1 Viewer)

*~Anna~*

HSC
I need some help because I had glandular fever at the end of last year (start of year 12 work) and have since been sick with the flu regularly and I have missed a lot of school (im talking weeks and weeks here). I know you can get misadventure for not sitting an exam, but some of my teachers have suggested to my parents that I get a misadventure/under-achievment. I was just wondering how that works, I know some of you are thinking "oh its only glandular fever" but my marks have plummented since I had it and i keep getting sick.. im a bit confused though because although it has affected my grades I dont know whether i deserve a misadventure.. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

sasquatch

HSC
i had glandular fever last year.. and i was stuffed.. i had a huge lump on my neck... i didnt feel like eating anything at all..and i slept SO much.. the doctor even told me i could take as much time off school i wanted... and shed give a note etc.. but i didnt want to miss school and that was during the 3rd term holidays..so i tried to rest as much as i could yeah... It can be pretty bad so if you had to stay off for weeks then youd deserve something in return...

helper

HSC
N/A
Sadly the BOS misadventure form states that an ongoing illness like Glandular Fever is not enough for a misdaventure claim. You can only make claims for individual tasks if it flares up at this time.

Otherwise it would be looking at going the pathways or special provisions track.

Good luck

Number7

HSC
I've missed 2 months of year 12 through surgery and sickness, just gotta tough it out :(

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I believe, the EAS (Educational Access Scheme), is what is available to students who feel they have or will not do well as a result of problems due to sickness or other various problems. Have a read of the sticky thread in the Technical Arcana forum for a better understanding.

sarahbradley07

Gold Coast Schoolies '09
HSC
I need some help because I had glandular fever at the end of last year (start of year 12 work) and have since been sick with the flu regularly and I have missed a lot of school (im talking weeks and weeks here). I know you can get misadventure for not sitting an exam, but some of my teachers have suggested to my parents that I get a misadventure/under-achievment. I was just wondering how that works, I know some of you are thinking "oh its only glandular fever" but my marks have plummented since I had it and i keep getting sick.. im a bit confused though because although it has affected my grades I dont know whether i deserve a misadventure.. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Hi !
I was just wondering if you ended up getting misadventure for this??
Im in year 12 this year and i had gallstones and was really sick. Ive missed almost the entire term of school and will only just be back in time for mid-year exams - which is unfair scenes as i dont know the work. I also havent been able to do the assesments.
My teachers are all really leniant because of my problems but this is with class set tasks and im not sure what will happen with midyear exams?? Its also going to obviously affect my final HSC exams!!
Thanks. Sarah

goingsoloxs

HSC
hey i really need some help!
im doing my hsc in 2010 and i just got an english mark back where i came round about last in the grade! (it's worth 25%) (last year i came in the top 5 in our english exam, and came 25-30th overall / 100+)
However, round about that time where i did that assessment, my great grandma has died about 1/2 weeks before ..
im wondering if i could appeal for my marks even though i still sat the assessment :(
i know it seems like im just trying to scab marks but i tried really really hard in the assesment but for some reason, i got swayed by my *cough* awesome english tutor to talk about something else the day before the assessment
im really upset b/c i know i could of done better

Also, the assessment task was suppose to be a discussion/interview type (as stated on the notice) but when i entered, i answered no questions so it was almost like reading an essay out
could i also appeal because of that?
i really need someone's help and advice thanks

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Do you honestly believe that your mark was affected by your great grandmother's death? Or was it caused by dodgy advice from the English tutor, which you decided to take on board?

In any case, the appeals process at every school was different, I know at my school, you couldn't appeal to the school, you had to appeal to the Board (of Studies), and let's say, you've got some diabetes problem, which forces you to take a break every 30 mins or so, the school would then give you 5 mins break every half hour during exams. For misadventure issues, I'd talk to your Year Advisor, and if he/she has no idea, then the Deputy Principal. They would have some sort of knowledge as to how the EAS system works.

In the case that your marks were caused by your tutor's advice - that's just tough shit. Noone forced you to take your tutor's advice, you took it, you took a risk, and it didn't pay off.

That being said, I am sorry about your great grandmother's death. Hopefully you can pick yourself up and keep up with the standard you've been applying yourself at for Year 11. Good luck. :)

helper

HSC
N/A
The time between the task and any appeal will go against you. Any appeals normally have to be done within about a week to 10 days. They will argue you should have appealed at the time, not waiting to see your result.

goingsoloxs

HSC
ok thanks all
i think i'll just accept my mark because in the end, i think it was my fault
tough luck i guess, life goes on ...
i just cant believe i've gotten such a shitty mark.. i never thought i needed to appeal before this

also, the school notified us that they were doing a discussion style assessment but on the day, there were no questions asked
but i guess everyone's in the sameboat
i just cant help but think that i've been victimised here :(
ok whatever, i dont want to think of this anymore
i'll just work harder

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)