school scaling?? (1 Viewer)

HannieStar

Hi, I was just wondering how the whole school scaling thing works
I haven't got all trial marks or my ranks back yet but I have marks which vary across the board. The standard is very high at my school so I was wondering if people get rewarded for going to a 'harder' school when the UAI is calcualted.
Anyways- I go to Cheltenham and someone told me this would be taken into consideration when the UAI is calculated- is this true.
Also- is the whole upscaling downscaling subject thing true or just urban myth>

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, scalin' is pretty fair. If you group (year) does well ... and the average is say 85 for the final Exam, then you're Assessment marks will reflect that. They will be better than another school whose Exam average is only 70, for example. It's not rewarded as the word suggests, rather you perform well and achieve the marks you deserve.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Read some of the 'important' threads at the top of this forum. :) Then come back to us with specific questions.

HannieStar

Sorry that looked a bit dodgy- when I say rewarded, I mean is the hard marking taken into account in comparison to the standards of other schools

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes. It's called moderating.

See the thread entitled <a href=/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6642>Explanation of HSC Marks</a>.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)