Plz Help Me Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

IronMike

HSC
N/A
Ok. Say for instance there is 10 people in the whole STATE who are doing JAPANESE BEGINNER
and if ALL of these 10 people receive Band 6 For the HSC, does that mean
1) that when UAC is scaling the subject they will scale this subject down because they assume that the course was easy?
or
2) will they scale it up because they assume that the 10 cadidates for Jap Beginner were an academically excellent group?

Thanks in advance.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I -think- number 2 will prevail.

I looked at Classical Greek Extension which was the highest scaling subject in 2002 and 2001.

Then i looked at Table A1 from the UAC and observed the candidture in 2002. There was 9 people who did it.

I assume because it scale so high is because they all did very well in the exam.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i'm pretty sure they will look at how you all did in your other subjects, in comparison to the rest of the state. that will decide how academically excellent you are as a group, and therefore decide on the scaling of the subject.

edit: ragerunner - classical greek extension studnets were probably very intelligent, and therefore they would have done well in all their other subjects as well, hence the scaling up.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
I -think- number 2 will prevail.

I looked at Classical Greek Extension which was the highest scaling subject in 2002 and 2001.

Then i looked at Table A1 from the UAC and observed the candidture in 2002. There was 9 people who did it.

I assume because it scale so high is because they all did very well in the exam.
The case of Classical Greek is a (relatively) unique case. First off - Classical Greek Extension scaling is based on their Classic Greek Continuers results. And lets put it simply, the majority came from either PLC or Sydney Grammer. And these students in general excelled in their other subjects (and many opting to do Ext English and Ext2 Mathematics, and doing well). A scaling of a subject depends on how well they do in their other subjects. And to that end, these Classical Greek Candidates were among or near the top of the state. (And this will continue to be the case - that the top candidates do subjects like Classical Greek Cont/Ext.) Even if every single candidate for Classical Greek Extension achieved only 1/100 for their exam, they'd still have the same scaled average.

And so, scenario 1 would occur, in reply to the original post. (So iambored is right.) They would not be scaled down as such because the course was easy or difficult but rather because the Candidature for Jap Beginners is most likely weaker than many other subjects such as Physics, Economics and Latin, just to name a few.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
flyin' is largely correct - except that the scaling is based on their performance in all courses, not simply all other courses. The 1/100 scenario would therefore negatively affect the scaling.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
If i had the power to make any change in the HSC (e.g. remove people from courses) except change the scaling, aligning and moderating processes, how would i make a subject scale higher?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Interesting question.

My initial answer is - remove all those students who tend not to perform well in all the courses they take from that course, and replace them with all those students who do tend to perform well in all the courses they take.

There may also be other possibilities... I'll have to ponder them.

IronMike

HSC
N/A
Thanks for ur answers.
So if All those 10 people got band six for their subject but performed poorly in other subjects then they will be scaled down right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)