Uai cut-offs (1 Viewer)

tigerboi

peanut butter jelly time!
HSC
Im not sure but i heard this rumour. That your first choice preference for the first round is used for determining uai cut offs for 04 and not for actual course consideration. Its only the second round is the real deal. is it true?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
No.

The cut-offs are determined by the demand for a course and the number of places available, and you'll receive an offer in every round (if you're competitive enough). No round is redundant.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Laz. In terms of the process of scaling, aligning and moderating, would you say that the school's job is just to record the students' ranks and relative differences while setting fair exams and assessments?

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Thanks. Now another question. hehe :)

Are the scaling values of each subject specific to each percentile so that those who are truly smart (high percentile) in a "low" scaling subject don't get their marks pulled down?

e.g. Theoretically speaking, if a guy who is equally good and equally interested in all subjects chose to do all the low scaling subjects would he get the same UAI if he did all the high scaling subjects?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The values at particular percentiles are only calculated for the purposes of reporting - they're not actually used to scale marks. The scaling process calculates a new scaled mean and scaled standard deviation for a course, and then reshapes the distribution according to those figures. This affects students in the middle of the distribution the most; those at the ends are relatively unaffected.

Originally posted by deyveed
e.g. Theoretically speaking, if a guy who is equally good and equally interested in all subjects chose to do all the low scaling subjects would he get the same UAI if he did all the high scaling subjects?
Hmmm. It depends on just how good he is and just how low the scaling is. If he's not one of the top students, the answer would be 'yes'. There aren't really any special factors that come into play here.

However, if he's the type of student who could gain 100, it's conceivable that the maximum scaled marks which are imposed on courses with low scaled means would deny him access to the top few indexes. An above average student should find it comparatively easy to gain a high ranking in a course with a below average candidature. The maximum scaled marks should - theoretically - counterbalance the ease with which a high ranking can be gained. I suppose the lower UAI is the price paid for not taking courses that are appropriate to your ability and level.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Just a quick question... if you are lets say... .5 away from a course cut-off...

Is it likely that the uni will accept you?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Erhm. The cut-offs are defined by the last person accepted.

Sooo... by the time the cut-off has been determined... you've already been rejected. :p

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Dash
Just a quick question... if you are lets say... .5 away from a course cut-off...

Is it likely that the uni will accept you?
however, if u apply for a transfer at the end of first yr, u have a very good chance of making it, since u came very close to getting in (depends on ur first yr marks too however)

Jeo

Originally posted by Lazarus
Erhm. The cut-offs are defined by the last person accepted.

Sooo... by the time the cut-off has been determined... you've already been rejected. :p
care to explain?

can you please explain... i still dont get it :(

Last edited:

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
The advertised cutoff is the uai of the lowest person in that course

Jeo

Originally posted by Lazarus
so cut-off's are published after the exams have been marked and UAI's calculated?

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by Jesh
so cut-off's are published after the exams have been marked and UAI's calculated?
Thats what Im wondering?

I want to do a combined course that requires 95.5...
If I get a little below that (ie 0.5) will the uni consider me still?
Or don't I stand a chance?

Jeo

0.5 u dont stand a change, unless you do a similar course, and then switch over.... i think

SoFTuaRiaL

cut offs are published AFTER the uni offers have come out ....
they offer the seats, and say for comm/law at unsw, the lowest uai to get into it is 99.3, that endsuop being the cut off for that course

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Thats what Im wondering?

yes, but also ---> cut offs are published after the uni places have been given out

that is, u get your uai, put in prefs, and they give out offers etc. say, they may have 10 spaces in a course, they take the people with the 10 highest uais, and publish the lowest of the 10 who got in as the uai cut off

the cut off is the uai of the lowest person who was accepted to that uni in that course in the particular year, hence y they can jump around a lot

and damn, i just realised there is a 2nd page to this thread so this may have already been answered....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Thats what Im wondering?

Unfortunately u dont stand a chance
My first preference was 95.50 and I had 95.25, so I was 0.25 away from the last person to get into that course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)