Raw MARKS (1 Viewer)

M-THIS

hey guys!

good luck with the HSC for every1.

just wondering if there is anywhere you can put in "raw hsc marks" into the UAI predictor mechanism!!!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Raw HSC marks vary greatly each year, whereas percentiles don't vary (as much). Also Raw marks for Assessment and Exams vary greatly. Ah... so much variation. :p

Jeo

incase you didn't realise..... variation is the key word

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
You can estimate your position in the state... roughly, I'd say.
Take your rank for each subject in your school. If your school performs roughly like the rest of the state, then you already have your percentiles. If you school performs well above average, then adjust your percentiles accordingly. And similar if below. And if Selective, you can lift your percentiles alot more.

For example, if you were at a school which performs very well (compared to the state) in subject A, and you had a rankin' of 50/100 at school, then you might give yourself a percentile of 60-65. Note a percentile of 99 means you are in the top 1% of the state.

I think that about covers it. :)

M-THIS

yeah thanks!

well, i go to a catholic private school, and its alright - not very big not tiny!. but like in some subject it maybe weaker then last year! umm, i'm ranked first in most of my subjects (excluding maths3U ranked =7/28; englishADV =3/25) , tho some subjects have classed, like 20 or so.

other subjects include ECO, BUS STUDIES, GEOGRAPHY

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
If you're ranked first or near the top then your percentiles are goin' to be much more inaccurate because they maybe well in 99th perc. or lower such as 95th perc. It'd be safer to give yourself conservative estimates based on what you think will be your likely Exam percentiles.

M-THIS

but how does my school fair with the others?

like of cause it isn't as good in general as GPS or Selective schools etc etc,

and then, as first, how do i fair against others?

SoFTuaRiaL

also, does it matter how many students do that subject? i mean coming 1/50 is different from coming 1/4 or something like that ... :confused:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by M-THIS
but how does my school fair with the others?

like of cause it isn't as good in general as GPS or Selective schools etc etc,

and then, as first, how do i fair against others?
An educated guess - based on previous years is probably the only thing you can go by.
Originally posted by SoFTuaRiaL
also, does it matter how many students do that subject? i mean coming 1/50 is different from coming 1/4 or something like that ... :confused:
An educated guess would be most useful. If you are ranked 1st or near the top of a larger group, it's more likely your Assessment mark will be higher. This is because smaller groups have a higher chance of stuffin' up. Whereas in a larger group, you may get groups stuffin' up, but still have a strong group at the top. :)

M-THIS

yeah, so its hard to estimate your relative position if your coming first in a small group or in the top few in a large group, because even in a really shit school, with 10 students in the outback there could be a kid whos smart and get 99! Always a first!

*there is always someone on here that always have to make extreme cases!*

....Sorry!

but really in a smaller catholic private school, the averages of each years varies quite a lot!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
There's not much point worryin' bout rankings when they're set in stone. All you can do is try and prepare the best you can for the Exam. That's all you can really do. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)