UAI calculation (1 Viewer)

tessery

HSC
Ok i just have a few questions about how UAI's are calculated becuase nobody can seem to give a straight answer

1. Does you school matter? whenever u read about the scaling process u never hear anything about it affecting anything, but everyone seems to say it does

2. Does your assessment ranking count? another thing i keeo hearing. people say u get given an exam mark according to ur assessment ranking etc

any help would be great, thanks

helper

HSC
N/A
tessery said:
Ok i just have a few questions about how UAI's are calculated becuase nobody can seem to give a straight answer

1. Does you school matter? whenever u read about the scaling process u never hear anything about it affecting anything, but everyone seems to say it does
In the calculations no but it may effect your performance as a student in terms of study, motivation, competition etc.

2. Does your assessment ranking count? another thing i keeo hearing. people say u get given an exam mark according to ur assessment ranking etc
The ranking and gaps in rankings are important in determining your moderated assessment. So aim for the highest ranking and as big a gap from the people below you as possible.

laradelarge

HSC
Hey!

Was just wondering if you could give me an estimated UAI based on my ranks so far this year (I'm in year 12)

Studies of Religion 1U: 7/200
English Extension 1U: 6/32
English Advanced 2U: 49/180
Ancient History: 5/41
Legal Studies 2U: 19/28
Society and Culture 2U: 11/66
Drama: 4/34

I really have no idea when it comes to this..... The SAM calculator thing does not go by ranks, only raw marks (and raw marks don't feature on the report I got today)

I'm really stressing out, I can't get an estimate until I go back to school and see the VP but could you try this out for me (or get someone else to if you can't)

I attend All Saints College St Mary's Campus in Maitland NSW if that helps

THANKYOU :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
laradelarge said:
Hey!

Was just wondering if you could give me an estimated UAI based on my ranks so far this year (I'm in year 12)

Studies of Religion 1U: 7/200
English Extension 1U: 6/32
English Advanced 2U: 49/180
Ancient History: 5/41
Legal Studies 2U: 19/28
Society and Culture 2U: 11/66
Drama: 4/34

I really have no idea when it comes to this..... The SAM calculator thing does not go by ranks, only raw marks (and raw marks don't feature on the report I got today)

I'm really stressing out, I can't get an estimate until I go back to school and see the VP but could you try this out for me (or get someone else to if you can't)

I attend All Saints College St Mary's Campus in Maitland NSW if that helps

THANKYOU :)
so youve got 12 units there, and they only count your best 10
your ranks are pretty decent, and from that i would probably see that legal is your worse subject, based on your rank
i guess if you could keep this up and smash the externals, then a 90+ UAI is pretty much achievable

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
jemsta said:
your ranks are pretty decent, and from that i would probably see that legal is your worse subject, based on your rank
i guess if you could keep this up and smash the externals, then a 90+ UAI is pretty much achievable
I would agree with that assessment as well. Subjects aren't too bad in terms of scaling as well, so if she does well in all her subjects, then she's fine for a 90+ UAI.

laradelarge

HSC
Wow......seriously?
That's probably the best news I've heard all week. I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts/Education course, last years entrance was 65.7 or something, something fairly achievable I think.

I had a look at a UAI calculator another poster created (clever sod) and it basically said I'd have to get about 75-80 raw mark for each of my 2U subjects and about 30-40 for my 1U subjects. I don't know how accurate this is. But we'll see what the VP says :)

Thanks heaps

andre 3000

HSC
hey one question, a friend of mine wanted me 2 help him figure out his UAI for him, his subjects are

1. English (General)
2. Maths (General)
3. PDHPE
4. Senior Science
5. Mod History
6. Religion one unit

all of these subjects he seems to be going around the average marks in his class, though I wasn't sure about the scaling for most of these subjects, would you be able to give me a rought estimate in regards to his UAI mark

Cheers

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i have no information whatsoever other than the subjects he is doing to estimate you friends UAI
do you have his rank so far for each of his subjects?

andre 3000

HSC
he's coming around 8th in a class of 30. not sure on the marks his getting though. i think its around 60-80% on each test. though im not 100% sure

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
8th out of 30 for every subject or just for english?
ask him for the ranks that he as for EVERY subject that he is doing

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
so i assume hes probably an average student at your school?
he isnt doing high scaling subjects, and since he is not in the top, i would probably say he could get a UAI of 60s to 70s max.
lift up his game, since youve still got a fair while to go, and thus his UAI could increase by a few points

Kmahal1990

HSC
helper said:
In the calculations no but it may effect your performance as a student in terms of study, motivation, competition etc.

It matters a little more than just study/motivation/competition, but not directly towards scaling. If you come 10th in maths for example in James Ruse, your internal school mark will be higher than if you get 10th in maths at some other school. So it does affect your internal mark, and thus your UAI.

woodentoy

HSC
Since this seems to have turned into that kind of thread, I figured I might as well ask for a projection. My year doesn't seem as big as everyone else's- like 120, and they're spread out over lots of classes.

English Adv. - 1/47.
English Ext. 1- 1/4.
Modern History - top 3/30.
Ancient History - top 3/30.
Economics - 1/6.

Don't know about Ext. History, though I'm not bad at it, and Ext. 2 is a different sort of thing I guess. Are these the kind of marks needed for 98+, or do I need 1st in like...everything? Considering the amount of students in each subject the ranks don't seem that impressive.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
woodentoy said:
Since this seems to have turned into that kind of thread, I figured I might as well ask for a projection. My year doesn't seem as big as everyone else's- like 120, and they're spread out over lots of classes.

English Adv. - 1/47.
English Ext. 1- 1/4.
Modern History - top 3/30.
Ancient History - top 3/30.
Economics - 1/6.

Don't know about Ext. History, though I'm not bad at it, and Ext. 2 is a different sort of thing I guess. Are these the kind of marks needed for 98+, or do I need 1st in like...everything? Considering the amount of students in each subject the ranks don't seem that impressive.
you have excellent ranks there, so i wouldnt worry about too much just yet
getting a high UAI depends on your cohort i guess, but seeing youre topping 3 out of 5 subjects so far, it means your well on your way on getting the 98+ you want
all you have to do now is stay consistent and make sure you ace the exams :)

Cheese88

HSC
Hey, a couple of questions

1) where do i find this "SAM" UAI calculator? I'm still unfamiliar in navigating around this site.

and 2) if i can't find it, what would my UAI be, approx? My marks/ ranks are:
Chemistry - 83%, equal 2nd
Adv English - 74%, i think i'm a little bit above average
Ext1 English - 80% around top 5
Adv Maths - 92% top 5
Ext 1 Maths - 67%, not sure, about one standard deviation above average
Biology - 90%, first place
Chinese Continuers, i'm the only one doing the course
Ext 2 English, well, i'm not sure how that works, but my proposal of ideas got 90%

thanks!

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
1) when youre on the bored of studies homepage, you should see a SAM tab at the top of the page....where you clicked community to get to these forums

2)how many people are doing each course?
your marks are pretty good so far, which means youre pretty competent in most subjects...i suggest to keep up the good work, and your well on your way to 90+

Bank$

HSC
If it isnt too much trouble, can u guys from expericance tell me the probability of getting a UAI over 90 ? considering that my school is NOT in the top 200 but probably in the top 220.

My ranks are as follow

3/4 - EXT2 Maths
1/59 - STD english
2/15 - Physics
1/16 - Chemistry
2/12 - EXT1 Maths

Thanks in Advance
Justin

webby234

HSC
N/A
Bank$ said:
If it isnt too much trouble, can u guys from expericance tell me the probability of getting a UAI over 90 ? considering that my school is NOT in the top 200 but probably in the top 220.

My ranks are as follow

3/4 - EXT2 Maths
1/59 - STD english
2/15 - Physics
1/16 - Chemistry
2/12 - EXT1 Maths

Thanks in Advance
Justin
Yeah you'd have a good chance of 90 or even 95+.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)