question about scaling (1 Viewer)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Hey I dunno if anyone can answer this but I did UAI Seeker and it seemed a bit screwed, cos I did the aligned marks method and entered 90 for general maths, which got scaled down to 78.8. However, I also entered 90 for tourism, which is a VET course I did at Tafe, and it only got scaled down to 89.6. How can this be, when tourism is an even more piss easy course than general maths and is lower on the list of scaled subjects??? Quite confused...does anyone have an explanation?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
off the top of my head and without any stats here, basically, I think the reason is that to get 90 in tourism, u must be basically around the top of the state to get such a mark, and hence the scaling is favourable. Whereas getting 90 in general maths isnt that close to the top of the state (ie, is contained in a lower percentile) and therefore the scaled mark reflects this

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I see...but I would think that the scaling would be more favourable for general maths because tourism is so easy. Are you saying that not nearly as many people would get over 90 for tourism as for general maths (because not a lot of people do tourism)?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Difficulty of the exam isn't taken into consideration.

Maybe tourism isn't easy but you being smart find it easy.

Jeo

Originally posted by yenta
Are you saying that not nearly as many people would get over 90 for tourism as for general maths (because not a lot of people do tourism)?
yes. the number of people enrolled in a course has nothing to do with scaling, its quality of course candidature that counts, and how you perform compared to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)