Ranks and Assesment Mark (1 Viewer)

Stipe Pletikosa

HSC
Ok i apologise for opening yet another thread on this, but i thought i had all this down pack, only to find that i am infact wrong.

I thought that all that mattered was your rank. Forget your mark, but simply focus on your rank. I go to a school with 300 odd people in the grade and find my self in teh top 15 for all subjects, however subjects such as economics and bilogy only have 23 and 65 students respectively.

Our school are very strict markers for biology as an example. Im coming 16/65 at the moment, with an assesment task of 70. I always figured that a 16th rank was good and that would move me into a band 5, as previous years have seen about 10 band 6's handed out.

But having spoken to a friend today, her knowlege is that only the top few scale up and my mark will remain on 70. Now that is horrible considering our trial average was 50 and i got 65. I always thought that UAC look and say well he got 70, but was ranked 16th in a strong performing school, therefor that is equivalent to an 85. I no i have the potential to pull a 90 for the atual HSC paper but i really dont see the use of that now.

My ranks are as follows:
General Maths: 14/70
Adv English: 20/125
Geography: 2/55
Economics: 10/ 23
Religion: 11/320
Biology: 16/60

To be fair im actually shattered now. Last year 50 students from our school got a UAI of 90 and i thought i would be above 80 at least. However by the look sof things, everything has now been thrown out with scaling. Please explain!

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
basically it doesnt really matter how many people are in each class. 23 people for eco and 65 for economics doesnt mean anything. It basically just means less competition than say for example religion.

When you say your school marks strict, that might work towards your favour, as you know what to expect when the externals come, as the markers are usually more lenient, and it doesnt mean that your chances of getting a band 5 is over, as your friend suggested. Basically you could all get scaled up, but that depends on how well all you guys go in the external exam. If you all do bad, then obviously you get scaled down, but basically if youre ranked 16th, that means you get the 16th best mark, so basically if the top 20 people get 90, then you will get 90 for your subject mark.

your ranks looks pretty good to suggest that youre capable of getting a 90+ UAI. Just dont listen to your friend and just do your best. Also help your peers too if theyre having trouble because that might be the difference between you getting 85 or a 90.

have you read the thread on scaling FAQ?

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
is that why they refer the final exam as a school effort rather than an individual effort??

so wouldnt this relate to school scaling such that, if you go to a good/smart school then likely your marks will get scaled up because majority do well in the final exam? Is the scaling/moderation reflected via the schools AVERAGE in the final hsc which is compared to other schools AVERAGES so that it may be used as a basis as to how the scaling impact takes place? Or is it by the number of students who get band 6s? or the percentage of the total grade doing the subject that get the band 6s?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)