Question about band 6's and UAI (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
Ok whats the general rule about "if you get so many band 6's you will get this kind of UAI?"
with this generalisation do they mean Band 6 for each subject according to your internal marks?

What percentage is what band?

if you can decipher any of the above for me cheers :)

Cythen

HSC
it varies depending on the subjects you do, i believe its entirely possible to get 90+ with no band 6s but high 5s

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
there really is no general about what UAI you would get based on how many band 6's you get. That depends how well you do for the rest of your subjects.
what do you mean what percentage is what band? Do you mean how many people get that each type of band for a subject or the marks thats needed to get that type of band?

your internal marks has nothing to do whether or not you can get a band 6 or not. It all depends how well you and your cohort do in that particular exam that determines whether you get a band 6 or not.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
jemsta said:
there really is no general about what UAI you would get based on how many band 6's you get. That depends how well you do for the rest of your subjects.
what do you mean what percentage is what band? Do you mean how many people get that each type of band for a subject or the marks thats needed to get that type of band?

your internal marks has nothing to do whether or not you can get a band 6 or not. It all depends how well you and your cohort do in that particular exam that determines whether you get a band 6 or not.
I should really stare at those ranked below me in probably all my subjects because people getting marks as low as 35% will drag me down.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Someone in this year's HSC Biology trial at our school got 4/100.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah youre bound to get some students who really didnt give a fuck about their marks etc
back when i did 2 unit, i had 3 classmates that got less thsn 10/120 for the maths 2 unit trial.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
jemsta said:
yeah youre bound to get some students who really didnt give a fuck about their marks etc
back when i did 2 unit, i had 3 classmates that got less thsn 10/120 for the maths 2 unit trial.
I think we`ve got a few of those in our grade too. I'm not sure if it's because they simply aren't good at the subject , or if they're not trying.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Selective schools get higher UAI's because everyone pulls each other up. So the first gets 99 or 100 so the 2nd is bound to be 98 and then following from there...

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
Selective schools get higher UAI's because everyone pulls each other up. So the first gets 99 or 100 so the 2nd is bound to be 98 and then following from there...
selective schools get higher uais because selective schools have the best students

ellirene

HSC
is it possible to get a band six in standard english?
because for all the assesments added up, i ended up first in the grade
out of about 150. [which was 90 something percent all up - last time i checked it was 97]
or do people in standard drag you down to much?

HSC
in your case you should be fine. as long as the gap between yours and the second persons marks is the same then you shouldn't be brought down.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Example) if i get a 95. and the rest of my class in the subject get lik 30's and 20's will my 95 get pulled down?????

HSC
nah they will just widen the gap between yours and the other peoples internal marks (provided you improve at least a little bit) so they can't disadvantage you. your exam marks will stay the same.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ellirene said:
is it possible to get a band six in standard english?
because for all the assesments added up, i ended up first in the grade
out of about 150. [which was 90 something percent all up - last time i checked it was 97]
or do people in standard drag you down to much?
yes but its very, very difficult.
97% as your raw mark for english...thats very good.
With your strong foundations of std english, the minimum youll get would be a band 5, and thats still excellent.

xxJTxx

HSC
im still don't care for scaling.
i don't care if that makes me sound ignorant/naive.
but, my theory is do the best you can and maximise your marks to the greatest extent, and then let the rest happen.
i dunno if that cause i have internal rank one for everything and therefore scaling/redistribution of marks goes a bit funny for me, but i still say, do your best and LET THE REST HAPPEN!

HSC
Okay I just did a sample study for y'all.

choosing low scaling, common subjects across the state, and substituting in a mark of 90 for each, the resultant uai according juai was 94.5.

The subjects I used were:

Subject Scaled Mean(2005)
Design & Tech: 21.2
ESL: 21.5
Senior Science: 19.7
Hospitality: 20.2
General Mathematics: 20.6

Now choosing high scaling subjects that are relatively common in the state, and subbin a score of 90 (45 for extensions) into juai again, the resultant uai was 98.45.

The subjects i used were:

Subject Scaled Mean
Math Ext 1 (2 unit) 39.4
Math Ext 2 (2 unit) 43.3
Eng adv 31.2
Eng Ext 1 36.3
Eng Ext 2 36.6
Phys 30.1
Chem 31.4
(had to use 12 units as need 4 diff subjects)

So i guess with all 90's depending on the subs u do and their scaling, u should be around 93-99.5 i'd say.

Hope thats useful to sumbody lol:rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)