HSC marks Question (1 Viewer)

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
Hi guys i was wondering if the BOS shows that your score for some subject was e.g 95/100 does that mean you got 95% in the exam?, or is this a modified score based on the difficulty of the exam?, e.g. exam was really hard or something and they scale everyone up:s does that happen in ur external exam?, or are the marks EXACTLY the same as what u achieved?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
anonymus2003 said:
Hi guys i was wondering if the BOS shows that your score for some subject was e.g 95/100 does that mean you got 95% in the exam?, or is this a modified score based on the difficulty of the exam?, e.g. exam was really hard or something and they scale everyone up:s does that happen in ur external exam?, or are the marks EXACTLY the same as what u achieved?

The exam mark you receive is a scaled mark based on the Standards set by the BOS and adjucated by a panel of judges who are also markers.

They do this otherwise many people would get exam marks of less than 50 as the RAW marks to reflect the full range from 0 - 100 but Band 2 cuts in at 50/100. As many students are determined to have met the 'mimimum standard' for the course with a RAW mark of less than 50 that mimimum is raised to 50 with all raw marks above that being raised accordingly.

beentherdunthat

HSC
anonymus2003 said:
Well you get an Exam Mark: (RAW MARK of your external)
Assesment mark: (Moderated according to your rank and performace in the exam)
Final HSc mark: A relative mark of the above two

Sometimes you'll get what you achieved. Most of the time, scaling occurs, pulling you up and down, according to your perfomance. I've seen people get scaled like 5 marks up, and alternatively, 5 marks down. But thats because their performance so thoroughly juxtaposed to their allocated rank.

helper

HSC
N/A
beentherdunthat said:
Well you get an Exam Mark: (RAW MARK of your external)
You do not receive your raw mark. Rather you receive an aligned mark based on your raw mark and how the exam is judged against the HSC standard statements.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
doesnt that depend on how well you do relative to the whole state?
i believe that to get 98 in maths ext 2, you dont necessarily have to get a raw mark of 94% in the exam. You would never know your raw mark, unless you apply via the freedom of information act.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ALL courses go through the aligning process which involves a small group of about 6 of the markers getting together to decide the cut-off marks for each of the bands.

Say a decision is made that the RAW exam mark of 85% is the cut off for a Band5/6. Then the students who get 85% will have their mark raised to 90% and everyone who got a raw mark above 85% will be scaled to between 90 and 100%. The next cut-off may be 71% so the RAW marks between 71 - 84% will be scaled to between 80 and 89%. This process continues down the scale until the cut-off for Band 1/2 is decided upon - maybe 25%. Then everyone who got a mark less than 25 will be in the range of 0 - 49% and those with 25 and over will be Band 2 or above.

This process is done with every subject every year and takes about 16 hours of discussion and reading by the markers appointed to do this job. Their recommendations are made to the board but they don't get told whether the BOS actually accepted their recommendations or changed them.

beentherdunthat

HSC
anonymus2003 said:
so theoretically when people say they got like 98, they could have only gotten like 94 or something but they had a high standard so scaled up am i right?
Yes. If their rank is good, and overall performance of that school is good ;)

anonymus2003 said:
ohh k wow:S...so complex, does anybody have rough ideas on scores needed to achieve extremely well? rough cut offs from previous years?
?

N

noir.

anonymus2003 said:
ohh k wow:S...so complex, does anybody have rough ideas on scores needed to achieve extremely well? rough cut offs from previous years?
Here you go, dear

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
whoa..the cut offs seem a little low:S, i spose lol i think i can now hope for a score higher den 45/50 in 3u maths lol with a cut off of like 62% it seems to scale lesser and lesser as u get a higher raw mark am i right? btw is there any way of getting the raw marks for 2005/06?.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
anonymus2003 said:
whoa..the cut offs seem a little low:S, i spose lol i think i can now hope for a score higher den 45/50 in 3u maths lol with a cut off of like 62% it seems to scale lesser and lesser as u get a higher raw mark am i right? btw is there any way of getting the raw marks for 2005/06?.
There hasn't been news that I've heard of anyone getting their raw marks released to them any later than the latest marks posted on that thread. Also take into account that those marks were for earlier years for a newer system which students and teachers had to get used to, so the cut-offs probably will have rised a bit since those marks back then.

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
even comparing 4 years down the track?, 2004 cut offs seem quite reasonable, besides the difficulty of the exam has to be the same every hear from what i hear:S. how come they're not releasing the marks anymore? by the way if you are rank 1, to what degree will the performance of others below u, will affect you?, if you do well and they only do satisfactory? since my school is near 200th in the state

Last edited:

helper

HSC
N/A
The Board of Studies has never released raw HSC marks. Lazarus and a few others placed freedom of information requests in and recieved their raw marks, which is what is posted in the other thread.

The Board of Studies started denying these FOI requests based on the integrity of the HSC. Last year a number of people were going to appeal against this but I haven't heard of any progress in the matter.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/426/uai-hsc-marks-class-2005/100104/captain-pi-raw-marks/2.html

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
ohh k, well based on ur experience what would u say should be appropriate raw scores (assuming the HSC must be the same difficulty each year and that the cohort performs at the same level each year) for these subjects and these desired hsc scores.

Phy= 95-97
Chem= 95-97
Bio=95-97
2u Maths 90-91
3u 80-85
eng-88-92

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)