Ranked 1st = Mark not affected? (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Is this true? I keep seeing people's replies to posts saying completely different things:

a) if you are ranked first internally, recieve the highest external mark - no matter what the performance of the rest of your class, you will not be adversely affected.

b) if you are ranked first internally, recieve the highest external mark - and the rest of the class (say a small class of three) screws up and gets a bad external mark, than your mark will be affected..

Which is true? Just worried because I'm ranked first in a class of three, and the other two students slack off and get pretty low marks, whereas I work hard and was hoping being ranked first guaranteed you wouldn't get ass raped by their marks. Help please.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
nandayo said:
Is this true? I keep seeing people's replies to posts saying completely different things:

a) if you are ranked first internally, recieve the highest external mark - no matter what the performance of the rest of your class, you will not be adversely affected.

b) if you are ranked first internally, recieve the highest external mark - and the rest of the class (say a small class of three) screws up and gets a bad external mark, than your mark will be affected..

Which is true? Just worried because I'm ranked first in a class of three, and the other two students slack off and get pretty low marks, whereas I work hard and was hoping being ranked first guaranteed you wouldn't get ass raped by their marks. Help please.
You ALWAYS receive your OWN external mark, external meaning the HSC exams.

The person ranked 1st receives the highest external mark as his/her internal mark.

That's all there is to it. Typically if you come 1st internally you're likely to get the highest external mark yourself, and if this happens then you'll get the same internal and external mark, ie. whatever your HSC exam mark is :D

HSC
nandayo said:

if you come first you won't be affected.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
The person ranked 1st receives the highest external mark as his/her internal mark.

That's all there is to it. Typically if you come 1st internally you're likely to get the highest external mark yourself, and if this happens then you'll get the same internal and external mark, ie. whatever your HSC exam mark is :D
Serious? Thats good to know. So if you come first in the HSC and internally, your internal mark will always get scaled to be equal to your external mark?

And what about if your coming second? Will you be dragged down by those beneath you? What about if you are close to the first? Do they just completely disregard the first persons marks when deciding how to scale everyone else (which if what ive been hearing...), or do they take that into regard too?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Serious? Thats good to know. So if you come first in the HSC and internally, your internal mark will always get scaled to be equal to your external mark?

And what about if your coming second? Will you be dragged down by those beneath you? What about if you are close to the first? Do they just completely disregard the first persons marks when deciding how to scale everyone else (which if what ive been hearing...), or do they take that into regard too?
They keep the gaps in your internal marks

so if you came second with a mark that was 5% lower than the person coming first internally, you get your own external mark (as always), plus an internal mark that's 5% lower than the highest external mark in your cohort :D

Danger

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:

so if you came second with a mark that was 5% lower than the person coming first internally, you get your own external mark (as always), plus an internal mark that's 5% lower than the highest external mark in your cohort :D
I don't get it :(

HSC
it wouldnt be fair if people kept the same internal marks. since the level of difficulty/marking is so different between even two schools let alone 200+ they can only measure marks when everyone does the same test. if your school on a whole improves then your internal marks will go up, but your ranks + gaps between each rank stays the same. your external marks essentially stay the same. garbled explanation i know, but do a search on moderation to understand what i'm talking about.

Ooddi

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:

:confused::( I don't get it, because in a way it seems you're saying that the internal marks are only affected by the highest external mark of your cohorts (even if the person who ranked 1 in the subject doesn't even get the highest mark??). My point is, it seems to suggest that no-one else's mark counts in terms of internal marks, that everyone is reliant on who ever comes first externally and the distances between the ranks for their "moderated assessment mark".

However since the ranks and distances are internal, isn't this up to subjectivity whereby teachers would internally moderate the distances so that everyone in the class is closer together?

Obviously my little rant isn't true, so could someone please point out the flaw in my interpretation? ...HSC, scaling, moderation, ranks , it's all so confusing.

Last edited:

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
oh god i'm bloody confused now

for english advanced the marks between people in the top ten are about 0.5

ie. 1st = (internal total) of say 90
.'. 2nd = 89.5
and so on and so forth
what's going to happen to us? and what about equal ranks? do they go by the standard deviation or something?
because there's a few people clumped on third, and because of that i'm stuck on 7th *grumbles*

Ooddi

HSC
ahen said:
oh god i'm bloody confused now

for english advanced the marks between people in the top ten are about 0.5

ie. 1st = (internal total) of say 90
.'. 2nd = 89.5
and so on and so forth
what's going to happen to us? and what about equal ranks? do they go by the standard deviation or something?
because there's a few people clumped on third, and because of that i'm stuck on 7th *grumbles*
I got told for equal first ranks, that the BOS tries to discourage this by making it so that if two people come equal first in a subject, for their moderated marks in the HSC these two people will get the mark of whoever does poorer. Eg person A and B are equally ranked in modern history. Person A gets a HSC mark of 94, person B gets a mark of 89. Both of them will get 89 for their moderated mark. (scaling would probably affect this some how too.)

helper

HSC
N/A
Ooddi said:
I got told for equal first ranks, that the BOS tries to discourage this by making it so that if two people come equal first in a subject, for their moderated marks in the HSC these two people will get the mark of whoever does poorer. Eg person A and B are equally ranked in modern history. Person A gets a HSC mark of 94, person B gets a mark of 89. Both of them will get 89 for their moderated mark. (scaling would probably affect this some how too.)
Whoever told you that was spinning you a story. The two people would recieve the average of the first two marks as there internal assessment. 91.5.

Ahen, yes they would look at the spread of the internal and external marks and align them as described in the FAQ
http://community.boredofstudies.org...na/6642/explanation-hsc-marks-moderating.html

Ooddi

HSC
helper said:
Whoever told you that was spinning you a story. The two people would recieve the average of the first two marks as there internal assessment. 91.5.

Ahen, yes they would look at the spread of the internal and external marks and align them as described in the FAQ
http://community.boredofstudies.org...na/6642/explanation-hsc-marks-moderating.html
Yeah the whole process is a little confusing. They guy who told me this is our internal Board of Studies co-ordinator. I'm not quite sure what to call him, but he's the one who keeps in touch with the Board of Studies, calling them whenever we have a query he can't explain and officially dropping or taking up subjects/units and making sure we have enough for a UAI - if we need a UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)