whats UAI bonus pts? (1 Viewer)

Hikari Clover

HSC
i got 89.90 for UAI,94 for maths ext2 and 97 for maths ext1
my teacher told me if im applying to UNSW i might be eligible for up to 5pts because of my maths.
so whats that?
can any1 give me more info about it?

thx~~

J

juvekickass

but i reckon its pretty stupid, coz everyone gets the points. If everybody gets a +5 UAI points, you're all back to square one.

so HSC plus is useless, and it will eventually be scrapped.

kirst21k

HSC
oh i dont know regarding subjects.

but my friends brother, he got a uai of 98 but then as he did state/national/some very high level of rugby union he got 5 bonus UAI points

geoff18

HSC
well it's actually not stupid and not everyone is square off
different subjects have different subject demands
if u did like all food tech subjects and like music and i dunno design and tech and no maths or eco or business and wish to do commerce obviously ur not going to get 5 extra uai points even if u get band 6s for all of them
the 5 uai points is designed to let ppl who did RELEVANT subjects in hsc to be advantage in the selection process

(personal opinion) if u want to know the real reason i rkn it's for money cause then everyone will choose unsw as first preference

J

juvekickass

geoff18 said:
well it's actually not stupid and not everyone is square off
different subjects have different subject demands
if u did like all food tech subjects and like music and i dunno design and tech and no maths or eco or business and wish to do commerce obviously ur not going to get 5 extra uai points even if u get band 6s for all of them
the 5 uai points is designed to let ppl who did RELEVANT subjects in hsc to be advantage in the selection process

(personal opinion) if u want to know the real reason i rkn it's for money cause then everyone will choose unsw as first preference

if u do food tech then the chances are u wont have a high enough UAI to do your subject since it scales down horribly. And besides...why would someone who did food tech do a subject which requires a high UAI. They might..but low chance.

For some courses, HSC plus is a load of tosh. Take commerce at USNW for example, to get HSC plus point u need english stnd or adv and 2U, 3U and 4U maths. Now, who would really do commerce without doing well in those subjects? weird. And the cut off is 95. Well, anybody who gets 95 and wants to do commerce will get those 5 extra points.

iishjoo

HSC
I have another question about this Bonus UAI.

Should we be looking at the cut-off UAI and then comparing it with our UAI + our (hopefully) 5 bonus UAI points on?

i.e, I got a 93 UAI and am eligible for 5 bonus uai points for a course which was cutoff at 95.1 last year.
Would i have a chance of getting into the course (If it was to only go up one or two points this year)? Or should i have aimed for >95 instead of >90

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Don't bet on bonus points. There can be a lot of fine print associated with them; certain universities and/or courses - mainly medicine degrees - may not recognise the systems. The Rural Assistance Scheme is another that awards bonus UAI points to regional students based on their location to offer them a greater chance at being accepted to university, but I believe MQ does not take this into consideration. It's possible that there are also technicalities surrounding the awarding of the bonus points.

As a rule, you should aim for the UAI you need rather than five points lower because there are no guarantees. How the UAI is calculated is Secret Universities' Business; they don't tell anyone precisely how they do it, so there is no fool-proof way of working out what you need to make it through on the bare minimum.

missknightley

HSC
The bonus scheme.. only applies if u choose the relevant subjects to whatever course you would want to get into. Too bad, law or combined law doesnt offer any bonus points.. that is, in sydney or UNSW :confused: (probably due to its high demand and popularity).

laelkassem

HSC
heyy justtt wanted to know if there are any bonus points at usyd. also where i can find the form for extra uai point because of playing high level of competitive sports thanks..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)