What defines the UAI "cutoff"? (1 Viewer)

mattrobs

HSC
What exactly goes into defining course "cutoff" UAIs?

My scenario -- Engineering at USyd cutoff 85 for 2006; my UAI 93. What's the chance that I'll be accepted into that course? Do they raise the UAI to a number so that the predicted number of people who pass the cutoff and apply for that course is about equal to the number of positions available? Are the uni positions filled from the highest UAI applicant, down? Are non-HECs-ers favoured?

Replies appreciated.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It is a simple supply and demand situation.

The UAI cut off is determined the UAI of the last person offered a place.

The places in each course are offered from the top UAI down.

Non-HECS students are offered using a different criteria. e.g. if a course has 1000 vacancies then it will fill those places by offereing the top 1000 UAIs who applied. In addition they may have 100 non-HECS places which will be offered to a different set of UAIs - usually the 100 who applied.

In 2004 my nephew needed a UAI of 85 to get into the course he wanted. He got 85.5 and then decided to go to TAFE for a couple of years. Last year to get into the same course the UAI was 65. Supply and demand!!

HSC
that is what a uai is in theory.

but some unis are quite relaxed when it comes to uai's because they have a bit more trouble filling their places. particularly in disciplines like science and engineering. sometimes its a marketing ploy too, i've read that usyd makes their uai cutoffs so much higher just to look better than unsw.

i don't you should worry about whether you will get in or not. you will most definitely get in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)