Is there a trend? (1 Viewer)

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
On average, is your final aligned mark greater/smaller than your raw mark, or is this never known?

I ask because, when estimating using UAISeeker, should one be guessing high or guessing low for their aligned marks?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It's never known. But it's -most- likely aligned upwards.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Although never known, just about in all cases (I dare say), your Raw Marks are significantly lower than the Aligned marks you receive. This might not have always been the case in the past, but since the introduction of the new HSC, almost everyone (if not everyone) gets 50+ in each of their subjects, even if they score a mark of 20%.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
At least you can say, I PASSED!

And a 60/70 doesn't look bad. haha.

But yeah for some subjects, the alignment will be very significant, some will be small.

e.g. Standard English has very little alignment. SDD seems to have quite a bit.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
and Mathematics Extension 2 - fairly significant aligning

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
That hasn't been as true in recent years yet again. Last year only ~31% got Band 6 whereas ~40+% got Band 6 in Ext2 the year before. And before that, even more people got Band-6. There were also more people gettin' in the 60s-80s arrange for Ext2 last year, than in a long long time.

mememe

So say for example i can reasonably guess by how i went that i got 88 in legal, i may actually be able to still get a 90 as my aligned mark? And would it depend on how everyone else went etc?

mememe

I know you cant work out exactly how alignment works from year to year, but does anyone know a little bit more info? is it likely to move your mark up or down? Can you get a raw mark in the 80's and end up getting a band 6? What are the circumstances you would need for this to happen etc

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by mememe
So say for example i can reasonably guess by how i went that i got 88 in legal, i may actually be able to still get a 90 as my aligned mark?
Yes.

And would it depend on how everyone else went etc?
No.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey can someone tell me, if i got 62/120 as raw in 4u 2day, then what will b my possible aligned mark?

also a friend of mine reckons he'll get 93/120, so how much would that b as well. :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Depends very much on how the rest of the people did (ie. reflecting on difficulty), and BOS's randomness in giving aligned marks.

A 62 would be ~mid-80s to 90s? 93 would be ~high 80s to mid-90s?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
Depends very much on how the rest of the people did (ie. reflecting on difficulty), and BOS's randomness in giving aligned marks.

A 62 would be ~mid-80s to 90s? 93 would be ~high 80s to mid-90s?
hmm...yeah, the paper (i heard) was way harder than last year and one of the hardest in the past 10 years. :s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)