3u scaling. (1 Viewer)

N

ND

Why is it that when i put 99 aligned into UAIseeker it equals 98.6 scaled? I'd have thought with the good 3u scaling it would go up, not down.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ND
Why is it that when i put 99 aligned into UAIseeker it equals 98.6 scaled? I'd have thought with the good 3u scaling it would go up, not down.
ah yes...the intricasies of the uai process...lol

smeyo

yeah it does worry me but i think its more important to see what the raw mark transforms into, since aligned is for hsc and scaled is for uai, both derived from raw, they do not use aligned for uai so there may be some reason, i hope its right

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by smeyo
yeah it does worry me but i think its more important to see what the raw mark transforms into, since aligned is for hsc and scaled is for uai, both derived from raw, they do not use aligned for uai so there may be some reason, i hope its right
This is correct.

You cannot compare aligned marks with scaled marks. They are provided as equivalencies.

The only method by which you can see whether a course was scaled up or down involves a comparison of the scaled mean to the standardised average of 25.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah, also doesn't it depend on the course as well. eg. in one subject band 6 means top 10% whilst in another it is 2%...so u really can't depend on aligned marks, thats why we r told to use percentiles coz they are more accurate. :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If you reach over a certain mark, you will achieve a certain band.

I don't think they limit the amount of people in each bands.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
If you reach over a certain mark, you will achieve a certain band.

I don't think they limit the amount of people in each bands.
well don't they choose every year which percentage is gonna get band 6, which percentage band 5, etc.?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
What if 9/10th of the state in a particular subject attained a raw mark of 90+ as their HSC Mark?

I don't think they will split it up and make a 90/100 a band2.....

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
well don't they choose every year which percentage is gonna get band 6, which percentage band 5, etc.?
No - they choose which raw mark corresponds to a borderline band 5/6 performance, and everyone on or above that will be in band 6, etc.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by ND
i think i asked this somewhere else, but don't most (like 98%) of the courses go down, just some go down more than others?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Let's just say, the HSC alignment and UAC scaling don't correspond. Let's also say that (in general), BOS gives higher HSC aligned marks than compared to UAC for your Aggregates.

smeyo

when i did my estimate ages ago it was true for all of them except 4unit maths which went up by 4.... that was in 2002

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Yes, my above statement was true for most, and Ext2 Math was one of the exceptions in 2002. I think BOS lowered the aligned marks, so people didn't do it just get a guarenteed band-6, which would've been the case for 2001.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)