Does you school affect your UAI? (1 Viewer)

Does you school affect your UAI?

• Yes

Votes: 53 55.8%
  • No

Votes: 42 44.2%

• Total voters

ForbiddenND

HSC
Hi everyone :)

I've heard many, many, many people say that your school affects your UAI and i've also heard it doesn't. I was just wondering does it count? I'm going to do my HSC in 2010, but I am happy in the school I am because of freinds, but if it will affect my studies then I will move to a selective school (got offer). I've even emailed the BOS and their answer was like a page long and cleared up nothing.

runnable

HSC
The only thing that affects your UAI is YOU compared to other HSC candidates.

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
This question has been asked like a million times already!

In terms of the technical matters (i.e. the way your HSC marks and UAI is calculated) then NO. Simple as that, contrary to what other people may say.

In terms of teacher quality, competition from peers, motivation from school, etc.. then probably YES, but the amount of this varies greatly depending on the student.

HSC
it depends what kind of a student you are

if you NEED to be pushed, then your school will matter, but if you are motivated to do well on your own then it doesn't matter at all

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Well statistically people do much better in selective schools. Sure, there are people who do really well in low ranked schools, but the selective school should be better.

Selective schools also have a better system of teaching as well, in my opinion. I've done a Cumberland High and Carlingford High chemistry past paper, and they were as easy as you could imagine. The James Ruse/Baulkham Hills/Abbotsleigh/Hornsby Girls chemistry paper, however, was a totally different story.

sdcloud69

Banned
HSC
Forbidden. said:
No need to be a cunt.
no need to be a cunt.

Wait, so why is it when every time someone asks for an 'estimate' UAI and their school turns out to be one in the bottom end, they automatically assume:

OMG LIKE U R GONN GET DAT DER MISTERY NUMBER! HAR HAR!!11!!1

duck.fluff

Usyd BVSc II
HSC
It does a bit, you'd be lying if you said it doesn't at all.

eg: If I'm coming 9th/60 at a high ranking selective school, I'm doing better than someone with the same rank at a lower ranking school.
So because half of your UAI is attributed to you ranking at school, not just the one HSC exam, yes, your school will affect your UAI.
It wont affect the mark you get for your actual HSC exam.

zeleboy

HSC
sdcloud69 said:
no need to be a cunt.

Wait, so why is it when every time someone asks for an 'estimate' UAI and their school turns out to be one in the bottom end, they automatically assume:

no need for the degatory language, we're all trying to learn here.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
me121 said:
This question has been asked like a million times already!

In terms of the technical matters (i.e. the way your HSC marks and UAI is calculated) then NO. Simple as that, contrary to what other people may say.

In terms of teacher quality, competition from peers, motivation from school, etc.. then probably YES, but the amount of this varies greatly depending on the student.
'Nuff said.

HSC
id say yes but only through the quality of education- not as something they look at and factor in. obviously if you get through james ruse youll come out with a better education than if you went to a random school

YO!

Banned
HSC
me121 said:
not necessarily.
Fuck off, of course you would. People don't pay $20,000/year for an 'average' or 'just above average' education. Obviously with $20,000/student/year, the school has quite a bit of a financial advantage, which means a better edication can be offered through teachers that are more experienced, better resourses, better facilites, etc.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
YO! said:
...of course you would. People don't pay $20,000/year for an 'average' or 'just above average' education. Obviously with $20,000/student/year, the school has quite a bit of a financial advantage, which means a better edication can be offered through teachers that are more experienced, better resourses, better facilites, etc.
on some levels i would say you are right.. but, would you come out being to much spoon fed by teachers? i don't know, i haven't been there, but i would say yes. i don't think it will prepare you for times when you may not have the best teachers (and james ruse does not have all the best teachers), or any teachers for that matter.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
YO! said:
Fuck off, of course you would. People don't pay $20,000/year for an 'average' or 'just above average' education. Obviously with $20,000/student/year, the school has quite a bit of a financial advantage, which means a better edication can be offered through teachers that are more experienced, better resourses, better facilites, etc.
Watch your language and don't get fired up by a trivial matter. Not all exclusive private schools or Selective High Schools provide a top quality education. And it's difficult to define "good education". There are many cases where people from Private High Schools are "spoon-fed" as such as me121 mentioned. I can recognise that trend even from my school which is not even considered top private high school. It's a normal Catholic schools and there are many teachers who spoon-feed students. I wouldn't call "spoon-feeding" a good education. Those who get high UAI due to that will greatly suffer as they enter universities. Education system is there to support students for the preparation into the university and for the workforce in the further future, if the education cannot equip its student with a proper study habits and norm, would you call that a good education? I don't think so.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
^ I still don't beleive it has a huge effect.

Last years cohort at my school, ranked 464th, was not the best. Very gifted sport wise, but there was a few very smart students, and the rest were mediocre.
The dux got 95.something.
Over the past few years, our duxes are consistently over the 90 mark. Considering my schools ranking thats apparently soooo important, thats a pretty good run ;]
This year, I'm guessing two student at least to break a 95+. My grade is incrediably gifted academically.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Does you school affect your UAI?

rheyn said:
Yes what school you go to does matter.

As you know the HSC is made up of 2 components your assement mark (school mark) and your HSC mark (exam mark). At school you will recieve a ranking in each subject which is then used to determine your assessment mark. How you perform in the HSC exam decides what your HSC mark will be. However your assessment mark for each subject is calculated by collecting the marks of everyone at your school, who did the subject exam, and ranking those marks in order. Then the person who is ranked first in that school, for that subject, will recieve the highest HSC exam mark as their assessment mark. Then the person who is ranked second will recieve the second highest exam mark as their assesment mark and so on...
Wrong, they collect the marks and distribute it according to the margin between the ranks.
rheyn said:
HOW does this relate to Schools affecting your HSC?

IF your in a academically weak school, it is likely that your class' perfomance in the HSC will not be very strong. If your classmates' HSC marks are bad and you've bled a mark here and there in your school exams so your rank isn't so good. Your assessment mark will be undesirable and thus your HSC result may be disappointing.

ADDITIONALLY my teachers have said that some of their past students were sitting on a 90 mark in their HSC exam. However they also had a person in that class who scored a really low mark and as a result the students with 90 as an exam mark had their assessment mark "pulled" down to an 87. I'm not too sure what they meant by "pull" so there is the possibility that the performance of your classmates can also scale your marks up or down. I'm not too clear on this though, if anyone knows the answer I'll be happy to hear from you.
Let me tell you this, if you're in the top tier of the grade or bottom tier, others performances will not effect you significantly, if at all.

If you're first in your grade and a person in your grade achieves a mark of 60(say, the lowest mark in the state), this will have no effect on you whatsoever.

If you're last in your grade, and the top person got 100, they will NOT "drag" you up.

The only "dragging up" you'll see is an illusion, seeing as if you are average in a top ranked school, a student of your calibre would be seen as the top tier in a low-ranking school, so in the end it'd be the same.

The only real determination of your HSC/UAI is YOU and YOU alone, not your school or your subjects.

sdcloud69 said:
no need to be a cunt.

Because they either give average rankings in a low ranking school, thus it is highly unlikely they'd be able to get a high UAI.

If a person from James Ruse gave us last rankings for all his/her subjects, you cannot assume they'd get 90+ regardless, they'd have to do well in the HSC to obtain a 90+.

PS. I've heard stories of 70-80 UAI's at James Ruse.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)