Added rankings to UAI for poorer performing schools (1 Viewer)

sdcloud69

Banned
HSC
Yo peeps

I heard from a guy who's repeating yr 12 (doing it again this year) and an administrative member of the staff at my school (won't name it, but it's in western suburbs and get poor results overall) that the UAI rankings were 'boosted' by 8 last year for the students that got one from our school, i really don't know how this happened or works so i'd like to find out if there is any truth to this?

Does anyone know if the lower end of the spectrum gets anything like this?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
sdcloud69 said:
Yo peeps

I heard from a guy who's repeating yr 12 (doing it again this year) and an administrative member of the staff at my school (won't name it, but it's in western suburbs and get poor results overall) that the UAI rankings were 'boosted' by 8 last year for the students that got one from our school, i really don't know how this happened or works so i'd like to find out if there is any truth to this?

Does anyone know if the lower end of the spectrum gets anything like this?
this is completely false.

they cannot "boost" your uai. its a rank. some people have to get 0, and some have to get 100. if they boost yours then they are effectively pushing others down.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
When universities allocate places to their courses they set a UAI cut-off. Sometimes a university will allocate a place (or more than one) to students from certain school areas, or for other reasons with lower UAIs e.g. UWS regularly has a higher cut-off for students from outside the western suburbs than for those within it. This is what I think your teachers are referring to.

lil-angeliz

HSC
you can repeat year 12, but the boosting thing does not make sense. i agree with you about the western suburbs schools. i go to one and they are not that good. even if your the top in your school, you will get scaled down...

me121

Premium Member
HSC
lil-angeliz said:
you can repeat year 12, but the boosting thing does not make sense. i agree with you about the western suburbs schools. i go to one and they are not that good. even if your the top in your school, you will get scaled down...
they don't boost your uai rather they will lower the minimum uai you need to get in.

you don't get scalled based on your school. you get scaled based on your marks in the subject and how the whole state goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)