Uai (1 Viewer)

sivan89

HSC
Hey guys I've just got a question...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Is the UAI based only on the actual external exams, or is it based on school assessments too? Because the whole time I've been told by teachers that your UAI is based on both school assessments and the external exams, However one of my teachers who is a senior HSC marker assures me that our UAI is only based on the actual External exams and its is worked out by UAC according to our RAW marks. And he said everyone is always gets confused with HSC mark and UAI, as the HSC mark is the one that is based on school assessments.<o:p></o:p>
So can someone explain this to me please?<o:p></o:p>
Thanks<o:p></o:p>
Sivan<o:p></o:p>

sivan89

HSC
Boxxxhead said:
UAI is based on both, just that your school assessment marks are moderated, and the mark used in UAI calculations is different to the raw mark that you get on your actual internal assessment.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=6642 for an explanation on moderating.
yeh i read that, but it mainly explains how u get ur hsc mark rather then UAI which is what im concerned about :S

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
For the UAI, they scale your final HSC mark (the one thats both exam + assessment) for each subject, and then they pick your best 2 units of english and the best 8 units that are left over. Then, every student has an aggregate mark out of 500.

Once this is done, UAC rank every student in the state according to their aggregate, and they are given a UAI which is a percentile rank.

You never know your scaled marks or your aggregate or anything like that, they just use them for UAI calculation.

sivan89

HSC
Ok, so if i've stuffed up my school assements and trials then my UAI is pretty screwed already? damm it sucks when u just start trying in the end and you find out its too late :(

damn teacher put my hopes up :(

Last edited:

sivan89

HSC
sorry guys just 1 more question...

Is it still possible to get a decent UAI?, i just started trying NOW which i can only blame myself for but I've been feeling really depressed lately due to this as I only now started to see my dreams and hope to start to fall apart :(

Now I'm doing my trials next weeks starting tuesday and I only started studying now after i woke to myself so I've been studying for 4 hours already 2day and i'm planning on studying another atleast 8 hours 2day, and same with the next 4 days untill tuesday when my trials start. My current ranks are pretty bad and i'm not 100% sure about them but i take a guess, and i only do 10 units:

English Advanced: 65/90
Maths 2 Unit: 55/60
Chemistry: 30/55
Physics: 16/18
Engineering Studies: 10/20

So will it be possible to still get a alrite UAI assuming i study as planed for the trials and start studying 8 hours a day for the external exams as soon as my Trials are over? I might even get a tutor.

My dream course needs a UAI of 88 which is engineering at UNSW but i no longer think that is possible, but I'll even be happy with a 68 which will get me into engeering at UWS... is that possible a 68?

I'll even stay up all night and study if thats what it'll take, i have potential
as all my teachers tell me but i just slacked off all year :(

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
sivan89 said:

Is it still possible to get a decent UAI?, i just started trying NOW which i can only blame myself for but I've been feeling really depressed lately due to this as I only now started to see my dreams and hope to start to fall apart :(

Now I'm doing my trials next weeks starting tuesday and I only started studying now after i woke to myself so I've been studying for 4 hours already 2day and i'm planning on studying another atleast 8 hours 2day, and same with the next 4 days untill tuesday when my trials start. My current ranks are pretty bad and i'm not 100% sure about them but i take a guess, and i only do 10 units:

So will it be possible to still get a alrite UAI assuming i study as planed for the trials and start studying 8 hours a day for the external exams as soon as my Trials are over? I might even get a tutor.

My dream course needs a UAI of 88 which is engineering at UNSW but i no longer think that is possible, but I'll even be happy with a 68 which will get me into engeering at UWS... is that possible a 68?

I'll even stay up all night and study if thats what it'll take, i have potential
What is your school ranked?

ucon

HSC
sivan89 said:

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
I HAVE FAITH IN YOU.
seriously
if you can do it. SO CAN I

HSC
YOU'RE SCREWED.

Nah you should be fine. It goes according to what you and your classmates achieve in the external exams. For example if you get 100% in Physics and the 16th highest mark is 50% then because you were ranked 16th in assessments, you get your mark and their mark as an average.

So you better hope that you AND THE REST OF YOUR CLASS gets above 68. Otherwise you may end up getting 100% and the rest of your class gets 0% - then you will get 50.

Then you take into account scaling of each different subject and voila... you have your UAI. So basically all your teachers were right - its just they didnt explain it properly.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
You're not screwed, you can improve a LOT in the HSC exam. One member of these boards got 73 for internal assessment for English, and got 86 in the exam.

sivan89

HSC
Thanks heaps guys!! So whats the best realistic UAI i can get now?

peter2

Banned
HSC
HEY!!!
I am being serious about this. Just keep trying hard and make sure you get over 68. If you get 68 or higher, I will guarantee that you will get into either UNSW for Engineering or UTS for engineering. The reason why they put the cut off high is for the uni to look good but they accept anyone over 68. I know UTS accept anyone over 66 UAI for Engineering. So I hope this makes your day:)

sivan89

HSC
Thanks man, I hope its true I'd kill to get into UNSW I'll do absolutely anything!!! And all I needed was a 88 and I stuffed up :( but hopefully I still have a chance if what you said is true :)

So whats the highest possible UAI i can get now if i do good in the trials and ace the externals?

Last edited:

M@ster P

HSC
considering ur ranks, u have to get good marks in the hsc.

Also keep trying, that is the most important thing

M@ster P

HSC
sivan89 said:
Thanks man, I hope its true I'd kill to get into UNSW I'll do absolutely anything!!! And all I needed was a 88 and I stuffed up :( but hopefully I still have a chance if what you said is true :)

So whats the highest possible UAI i can get now if i do good in the trials and ace the externals?
if u had this attitude earlier in year 12, your chances would be much higher

sivan89

HSC
M@ster P said:
if u had this attitude earlier in year 12, your chances would be much higher
Yeh I know :( ohwell i'll just try my best from now and and I'll see what I can achieve :) hopefully i can reach my goal even though there's not much ligh at the end of the tunnel.

Shoubadoo

HSC
sivan89 said:
Yeh I know :( ohwell i'll just try my best from now and and I'll see what I can achieve :) hopefully i can reach my goal even though there's not much ligh at the end of the tunnel.
Even if you don't achieve the exact marks you wanted, you'll feel so much better about yourself if you know you didn't slack off from now until then.
There is sooo much you can do out there, so many options. My friend needed 80.1 uai to study her course at a uni here. She didn't get that. But she found another uni a whiles away that didn't even look at her uai and she is having a blast and doing extremely well at uni.
If you don't do as well as you wished, you can always achieve your goal, it just means it may take a little longer, tis all :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)