uai uai uai uai help. (1 Viewer)

nigelbouche

HSC
my schools had all this emphasis on rank
our principal just explained
if i rank 5th in overall internal assesments for a particular subject no matter what il get the 5th best mark of the exam.

example- if i finish up 5th in english after trials overall, no matter if i come first in the hsc exam for english and get 98, i get the fifth best of the exam lets say 60?

is this true?

HSC
yes BUT you get the fifth best mark of the exam as your internal mark. no matter what you keep your exam mark but your internal mark is based on ranks.

so in that case you keep 98 and get 60 as your internal, which are then averaged together.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
nigelbouche said:
my schools had all this emphasis on rank
our principal just explained
if i rank 5th in overall internal assesments for a particular subject no matter what il get the 5th best mark of the exam.

example- if i finish up 5th in english after trials overall, no matter if i come first in the hsc exam for english and get 98, i get the fifth best of the exam lets say 60?

is this true?
technically this is wrong.. but its close to it. they don't just hand out the marks in order, rather they change the school assessment marks so that between the exam marks and school assessment marks the mean and max mark are the same.

nigelbouche

HSC
cardinalsfan70 said:
yes BUT you get the fifth best mark of the exam as your internal mark. no matter what you keep your exam mark but your internal mark is based on ranks.

so in that case you keep 98 and get 60 as your internal, which are then averaged together.
so according to you, my final for english in this exam would result overall in 79?
average of 60 and 79?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
They use the raw marks to determine the spacing of the ranks. The external marks are all pooled together with the top external mark being the top internal mark along with the last external mark being the lowest internal mark. Anything in between is spaced out the way the raw marks are in terms of rank (ie. if 1st is raw 90, 2nd is raw 83, they will space it out with 7 or so marks to cater for the difference in raw marks).

Obviously if your whole cohort performs well, the "7 mark" difference may only end up being 2-3.

Sorry if that confused you abit :)

nigelbouche

HSC
tommykins said:
They use the raw marks to determine the spacing of the ranks. The external marks are all pooled together with the top external mark being the top internal mark along with the last external mark being the lowest internal mark. Anything in between is spaced out the way the raw marks are in terms of rank (ie. if 1st is raw 90, 2nd is raw 83, they will space it out with 7 or so marks to cater for the difference in raw marks).

Obviously if your whole cohort performs well, the "7 mark" difference may only end up being 2-3.

Sorry if that confused you abit :)

yeah i get that
in a nut shell
im ranked 3 in basically all my subjects
if i drop to around 5 after these trials
i know i can do better in the actual exam, compared to the rest
and get in the 80s raw mark.
but i dont know if that will be able to get me around an 80 UAI
adv eng, economics, business studies, ancient history and 2unit religon

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
nigelbouche said:
yeah i get that
in a nut shell
im ranked 3 in basically all my subjects
if i drop to around 5 after these trials
i know i can do better in the actual exam, compared to the rest
and get in the 80s raw mark.
but i dont know if that will be able to get me around an 80 UAI
adv eng, economics, business studies, ancient history and 2unit religon
All Band 5's is a definite 80+ I'd say, muck around with SAM.

nigelbouche

HSC
cheers mate
but

if i get 80s in the exam

however my ranks 5th and the 5th person gets around 60 and 60 becomes my internal mark, doesnt that mean that my uai will drop to 70ish?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Probably, your internal mark being 60 + 80 divided by 2 = 70 which corresponds to a 70-80ish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)