How The Hell Is Esl Scaled Higher Than Standard English? (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
You should read some of the sticky's first, you'll see why a lot of these things are the way they are.

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn

And all these other COMPLEXED subjects eg. economics being low scaled??????
Economics scaled fairly well, it was the 3rd best scaling 2U, non language, non extension subject

yes low scaling doesnt necessarily mean bad scaling

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
lol...well its prolly bcoz of the fact that the kids who do esl, full on kill all the other subjects like 4u maths. :D
I seriously doubt that :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
ESL is not scaled higher than English (Standard).

Read the note at the top of the page:
Note: English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are always scaled in the same way, despite any apparent statistics to the contrary. The true ranking for these courses can be estimated by averaging their respective scaled means...

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Well, a lot of my friends are ESL candidates.

My friends basically have prepared essays written. I looked at it once. the standard of their essays are better than many candidates' in Adv English --> of course, after being 'changed' by tutors and friends (who they asked to have a look at and adjust essays for them)

I've seen my ESL friends using BIG words (that were added by extension english friend of mine into their essays) and they just memorised their essays for the exams. Not that this is not right but they are not memorising stuff that are written on their own. once again, this is just what my friends did. I don't mean ALL ESL candidates do that. Afterall, it won't be fair to all other ESL candidates if my friends did that

I am not criticising people who do ESL, afterall, I can do ESL if I want to.

It's just that, it's not fair how many of them just do ESL because of the better scaling, They have a choice between Standard and ESL while many Aussies are only restricted to Standard and above levels.

(for the record, I do neither Standard or ESL)

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by sugaryblue
Well, a lot of my friends are ESL candidates.

They basically have prepared essays written. I looked at it once. the standard of their essays are like normal English --> of course, after being 'changed' by tutors and friends (who they asked to more than have a look at their essays for them)

I've seen my ESL friends using BIG words that I don't even use (I do Extension English). I don't think they even know what those words mean :(
huh? A thread formulated for the purpose of backstabbing about ESL student like me?! How dear you! Then again, I won't bother to comment.

Sugaryblue, and what evident do you have that ESL students don't understand BIG words huh?? Is it people LIKE YOU, that are making unncessary judgment that makes poeple THINK that ESL is easy an easy course and this and that. GO and GET a life.
(sorry I didn't use any BIG words in my message. I hope I DIDN'T insult you in anyway:) :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Survivor39
huh? A thread formulated for the purpose of backstabbing about ESL student like me?! How dear you! Then again, I won't bother to comment.

Sugaryblue, and what evident do you have that ESL students don't understand BIG words huh?? Is it people LIKE YOU, that are making unncessary judgment that makes poeple THINK that ESL is easy an easy course and this and that. GO and GET a life.
(sorry I didn't use any BIG words in my message. I hope I DIDN'T insult you in anyway:) :rolleyes: )
Sorry, I wasn't saying the candidates in general. I was prefering to my friends when i used 'they': a niche number of candidate. i'll go and edit my post now.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
i thought thru here post, she is expressing her sympathy for the esl students, bcoz it is really hard for them. :rolleyes:
Hope that's not sarcasm!

Because I really really really felt that with what my friends' done, it's unfair for true ESL candidates/

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
ESL candidates generally work harder than Standard candidates. Why? They know they aren't as good (in English) and are at a disadvantage at other subjects (because of their English). And because they work harder, they general perform stronger in the same subjects they do with Standard candidates. Also many do Ext2 Mathematics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)