School sending the ranks to BOS (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Does school only send ranks to BOS or does it get accompanied by marks as well? And if the ranks are separated by 0.1%, do they still send them as in 1st and 2nd completely disregarding the difference?

If they completely disregard the minute difference and send them as different ranks, that seems quite unfair.

I am in the scenario described. There is a guy at my school who has been beating me approximately by few marks in the maths exams but in the recent CSSA paper, I got higher result which put me just below him like 0.1%

These are the results:
The other guy: 100%, 97%, 97%, 100% and CSSA (so far): 91%
My result: 98%, 92%, 97%, 97% and CSSA (so far): 99%

My results may seem lower but if we take the weightings into account, I am just below him by 0.1%

Can anyone help me on this? I am quite worried.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Does school only send ranks to BOS or does it get accompanied by marks as well? And if the ranks are separated by 0.1%, do they still send them as in 1st and 2nd completely disregarding the difference?

If they completely disregard the minute difference and send them as different ranks, that seems quite unfair.

I am in the scenario described. There is a guy at my school who has been beating me approximately by few marks in the maths exams but in the recent CSSA paper, I got higher result which put me just below him like 0.1%

These are the results:
The other guy: 100%, 97%, 97%, 100% and CSSA (so far): 91%
My result: 98%, 92%, 97%, 97% and CSSA (so far): 99%

My results may seem lower but if we take the weightings into account, I am just below him by 0.1%

Can anyone help me on this? I am quite worried.

Each school makes its own decision on what to do in a case like that but... it happened to me last year with one student on 92.6 and the other on 92.666. The school agreed that it was unfair to separate them and sent them in as equal 1sts.

The marks are sent in so that the BOS has the differences as well as the ranks as the difference between the students is equally important. e.g. if two students are 1st and 2nd with one mark between them then the final assessment mark will reflect that compared to another school whose 1st and 2nd (and other ranks) are 10 marks apart.

You may like to ask your school what it is going to do but they don't have to reveal the ranks until after the HSC exams are finished at which point you can check your rank and appeal it is you think it is wrong.

Arithela

HSC
what happens in the case of equal 1sts? would either student be at a disadvantage and how?

Arithela

HSC
also, what happens if in november your rank is not what it's meant to be? what should you do to prove that it is incorrect?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Arithela said:
what happens in the case of equal 1sts? would either student be at a disadvantage and how?

Based on what happened at my school last year the 2 equal firsts were given the average of the top two exam marks as their assessment mark.

HSC
cem said:
You may like to ask your school what it is going to do but they don't have to reveal the ranks until after the HSC exams are finished at which point you can check your rank and appeal it is you think it is wrong.
I have to go get my ranks with my parents in a week or two......:uhoh:
Compulsory as well......:mad:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ah~~~

I don't know what my school does...I better ask though.

morning storm

HSC
namu,

although it is controversial and many of us dont agree with it, the policy for most of the departments in our school is to round our raw marks to the nearest whole number.

this can make for some pretty bittersweet outcomes,

ie 94.6 = 95.4 = both ranked 1st

im not sure this is true for every department however. id imagine though that the procedure would be uniform throughout the school. it would still be worth making sure for individual subjects, ie maths.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
morning storm said:
namu,

although it is controversial and many of us dont agree with it, the policy for most of the departments in our school is to round our raw marks to the nearest whole number.

im not sure this is true for every department however. id imagine though that the procedure would be uniform throughout the school. it would still be worth making sure for individual subjects, ie maths.
Really? That's a good news.

Wait, I remember something: when I was in Mrs Buckley's history class last year, I accidentally ran into SOR I Year 11 result where two people got 46/50 (namely Kevin and Chris). But their ranks were differnet. What's with that?

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
i'm pretty sure they submit your assessment marks, but can only tell you your rank

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
morning storm said:
namu,

I asked Mr. Hamam.

He told me that determining top ranked student is different. They apparently choose the top kid first and round up the others.

That's apparently due to the fact that equal ranks are not usually beneficial for one of them.

Zephyrio

HSC
Well if he's above you by around 0.1%, then he should be ranked first.

There's nothing unfair about that, I don't think. Just accept it and do your best in the HSC exam - it's not as if 2U is going to count for you in any case.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Well if he's above you by around 0.1%, then he should be ranked first.

There's nothing unfair about that, I don't think. Just accept it and do your best in the HSC exam - it's not as if 2U is going to count for you in any case.
It's okay now. I went above him in terms of overalll result because I beat him by 7 marks in CSSA Mathematics. When I was posting at that time, I was beating him by 6 marks but meh, I got what I wanted.

But still, I don't think it is really fair. You really lose that privilege of coming first and getting the top external mark as your internal mark.

L

lsam

Who fucking cares, namu? Unless you want to top the state for maths.

Zephyrio

HSC
lyounamu said:
It's okay now. I went above him in terms of overalll result because I beat him by 7 marks in CSSA Mathematics. When I was posting at that time, I was beating him by 6 marks but meh, I got what I wanted.

But still, I don't think it is really fair. You really lose that privilege of coming first and getting the top external mark as your internal mark.
So who's coming first now? You or him, and has this been sent to the Board?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
So who's coming first now? You or him, and has this been sent to the Board?
We calculated it today with all our marks.

He got: 100%, 98%, 97%, 100% and 93% (2008 CSSA Mathematics)
I got: 97%, 92%, 97%, 97% and 99% (2008 CSSA Mathematics)

In the end, he is getting 96.38 and I am getting 96.61. CSSA saved me! Well, I am quite shocked because I was never expecting to beat him in maths. If I got 118, I would have lost my first rank to him. Extra mark from 118 to 119 really saved me...

Ironically, I was beating him in MX1 but he beat me in MX1 by one mark that places him 0.2 in front of me in MX1 which is very similar to the situation between us in maths. LOL

But I don't really care about MX1 because I will definitely repeat seeing that I cannot get 49 or 49+/50

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)