WHY is the aligning sooo different??! (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Minai, who did the 2002 HSC maths paper say that he got around 79% raw. It got aligned to 89%

Ragerunner said you need around 90 raw to get 90 aligned in Physics.

Question 1: Why is the aligning so high for mathematics? Don't tell me the exam is HARD so that the aligning is high.

Question 2: I mean is it possible to have a HARD HARD physics (or biology/ any science courses) and the raw mark get aligned up by 10%??

Question 3: If Minai did get aligned up by 10% from 79% raw to 89% aligned, what about the people who get 95% raw? De they get 105% aligned??

Thanks moderator and people who knows this thing well.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I doubt for 2002 Physics, you need a raw of 90. I mean, I would've gotten around 60% raw and that was like 80 Aligned.

Aligning mainly arised from what Bands BOS decide - people fit into. Not as much as difficulty of paper. And they think more people satisfy the requirements for higher bands in Maths, than in other subjects.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I didn't say you need 90 raw.

I said from past people who did the exam, they believed they got around the 90 mark. Which is below it. Around 85ish. But remember, what exam we do could have completely different alignment. It all depends on exam paper.

For this Maths exam, I hope it will align very well. Even though it cannot be compared to other subjects, getting an 80 looks cool.

And no you can't get aligned above 100 marks.

I wish :)

Last edited:

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Can i get a comparison of these four subjects

What would be the HSC mark (aligned mark) assuming assessment mark (report mark) + HSC exam mark are:

Standard English >> 75
Advanced English >> 65

General Maths >> 90
Advanced Maths >> 70 or 80

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Survivor39
Question 1: Why is the aligning so high for mathematics? Don't tell me the exam is HARD so that the aligning is high.
The aligning process turns raw marks into performance marks based on the course standards. One course will align higher than another course only when (a) the standards are easier to achieve, or (b) the exam is harder.

Question 2: I mean is it possible to have a HARD HARD physics (or biology/ any science courses) and the raw mark get aligned up by 10%??
Yes.

Question 3: If Minai did get aligned up by 10% from 79% raw to 89% aligned, what about the people who get 95% raw? De they get 105% aligned??
The aligning process doesn't simply add a constant to all raw marks. The raw band cut-offs are determined, and then marks between those cut-offs are interpolated (linear transformation). For example, let's say a particular course has a raw band 5/6 cut-off mark of 80. All raw marks of 80 will become aligned marks of 90. A raw mark halfway between 80 and 100 (i.e. 90) will become an aligned mark halfway between 90 and 100 (i.e. 95). And so on. There is a separate transformation for each band. Marks at different places in the distribution could go either up or down.

LaZy_KoReAn: No-one knows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)