What would happen if there is a large gap between top 3 and the rest of the class (1 Viewer)

Fat Fung

HSC
What would happen if the top 3 of the class are around low band 6 to low band 5s

lets say:

1st - 93
2nd 89
euqal 3rd - 81
equal 5th - 71
7th - 70
8th - 68
9th - 65
10th - 60

how would the BOS take into account in terms of mark moderation??
are the ppl after 5th place disadvantaged?????

sasa-o8

HSC
Interesting question. This is happening to me atm too so it'd be great if anyone can answer :)

undalay

HSC
i'd say ur fucked.

and really, no1 knows exactly what happens for sure.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Well...if these rank are retained by the same people in the HSC, nothing much will happen.

raining.silver

HSC
N/A
What happens if
Students

Int. RANK

A-1
B-2
C-3
D-4
E-5

Ext. MARK

D- 95
C-88
B-82
E-81
A-75

due to whatever reasons

would A get 85?

what happens if this happens on a larger scale with heaps of marks difference?
i mean, the top people fully bomb out
while the bottom people do really well
it usually doesnt happen but what if?
the same thing occurs as usual?

u-borat

Banned
HSC
A would get 95+75/2=85

but in general, if you have some deadshits pulling the whole cohort down, anything but rank 1 will drag your mark down.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
raining.silver said:
What happens if
Students

Int. RANK

A-1
B-2
C-3
D-4
E-5

Ext. MARK

D- 95
C-88
B-82
E-81
A-75

due to whatever reasons

would A get 85?

what happens if this happens on a larger scale with heaps of marks difference?
i mean, the top people fully bomb out
while the bottom people do really well
it usually doesnt happen but what if?
the same thing occurs as usual?
Roughly calculating:
A = average of 75 and 95 = 85
B = average of 82 and ~88 =~85
C = average of 88 and ~82 = ~85
D = average of 95 and ~81= ~88
E = average of 81 and 75 = 78

B, C and D may all have a slightly different moderated assessment mark (a indicated by the "~" sign). This difference is due to the "gap" within the school assessment marks for these positions. That is, the gap then plays a role in the moderation process.

emee

HSC
What if you came (I don't know, just making it up) 17th (72%) in a particular subject internally but externally miraculously you come 5th (90%). Would your mark get 'pushed' up because you did well externally? or is it just the average of the 2? - But I mean if it is the average of the 2 isn't that a bit unfair though?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
emee said:
What if you came (I don't know, just making it up) 17th (72%) in a particular subject internally but externally miraculously you come 5th (90%). Would your mark get 'pushed' up because you did well externally? or is it just the average of the 2? - But I mean if it is the average of the 2 isn't that a bit unfair though?
You would get 90 as your external mark, and roughly the 17th best external mark as your moderated assessment mark, whatever that may be acheived by your cohort. The average of the two forms the final HSC mark.

It is actually quite fair. Students can't just happen to perform well in one final HSC exam but not work consistently throughout the year to perform better internally.

emee

HSC
Survivor39 said:
You would get 90 as your external mark, and roughly the 17th best external mark as your moderated assessment mark, whatever that may be acheived by your cohort. The average of the two forms the final HSC mark.

It is actually quite fair. Students can't just happen to perform well in one final HSC exam but not work consistently throughout the year to perform better internally.
Ahh okay I get it now! thanks :) but at the same time I've lost a bit of hope :(

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Don't lose hope! It is still very satisfying to perform well in the external exam regardless of your internal mark. I know the HSC is everything to you at the moment but believe me there is so much more to do and achieve after high school and the HSC is just a small part in your life that will help you become the person you want to be in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)