Acceleration HSC results issue (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hello

I have this little issue with one of my accelerated subjects and I have been wishing to know more about this problem I have. It will be great if someone could answer this with some depth of knowledge (and hopefully some evidences):

This is a hypothetical situation: I accelerated in Biology and got pretty good result in Biology that I accelerated. I got 95 aligned for Biology. I am aware of the fact that scaling is done on the raw results. But let's say that 95 aligned in Biology = 91 scaled mark for 2008 (since I don't know my raw mark).

Then, if I were to keep that mark for next year's HSC (2009 for me)...is the scaling freshly done on that 95 aligned (I mean the raw result that equates to that aligned mark) or do I get to keep that 91 scaled mark from 2008?

sirfeathers

HSC
you keep the 2008 scaled mark.

From the UAC website:
"For students accumulating courses towards their HSC, scaled marks are calculated the year the courses are completed. Marks are not re-scaled each year. "

Last edited:

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
On a similar note with accelerated students:
I was wondering if someone is accelerated in Maths 2u and get a great mark (like Namu) but they do 4u in 2009 does that mean they can not count their 2u mark from the year before in their HSC or UAI for that matter because they did 4u in 2009?

Gerald10

HSC
Sarah that is exactly what I did. I got 95 in maths in 2007 and 46/50 in ext1. In 2008 I did ext2 maths which meant the 95 didn't count, my ext1 mark was doubled to 92 and my ext2 mark counted.

It is the same as if I had re-attempted the course. EG if I did biology and wasn't happy with my mark so I did it again the next year - regardless of the mark the most recent attempt counts.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Sarah182 said:
On a similar note with accelerated students:
I was wondering if someone is accelerated in Maths 2u and get a great mark (like Namu) but they do 4u in 2009 does that mean they can not count their 2u mark from the year before in their HSC or UAI for that matter because they did 4u in 2009?
Correct.

Otherwise you could count six units of mathematics. :) (Ridiculous!)

See also: http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uai.html#repeat

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
well namu, think about it. you did the test in 2008, so your marks are scaled against the quality of the 2008 cohort based on the 2008 test. to scale it afresh according to the quality of the 2009 cohort based on the 2009 test which you didn't do wouldn't be fair to either you nor the 2009 cohort, since one may be an easier test or one cohort might have been a lot smarter or whatever.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Ok, that makes sense.

Would it be possible for that student to only count their 2u from 2008 and 3u mark if they did poorly in 4u in 2009? Of course then they would only have 3 units of mathematics then but you understand the point I'm trying to make I hope haha.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Sarah182 said:
Ok, that makes sense.

Would it be possible for that student to only count their 2u from 2008 and 3u mark if they did poorly in 4u in 2009? Of course then they would only have 3 units of mathematics then but you understand the point I'm trying to make I hope haha.
Ok. If I do decide to do 4 unit (and I am currently pending...I will most likely to to have a go first) and do HSC for 4 Unit, it's all decided. I cannot go back to my 2 Unit result and keep that.

@dance2urownbeat: Yes, I agree. Thanks for the post.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
no worries namu.
and true about 4 unit! if i were you i'd def keep your 100 in maths. you'd need a ridic high 4 unit mark to equal it surely? which would be a lot of effort and you've already got the 100...but that's just my opinion. i keep the 100 and bring up all my other subjects. but i'm sure you'll do amazing in 4 unit! judging by your 2u and 3u marks :)

PantherZ

HSC
lyounamu said:
Ok. If I do decide to do 4 unit (and I am currently pending...I will most likely to to have a go first) and do HSC for 4 Unit, it's all decided. I cannot go back to my 2 Unit result and keep that.

I thought if you had accelerated 2U and done 4U in year 12 you can choose between 2 scenarios. This is to either count 2U maths as 2 units, 3 unit as 1 unit and 4 unit as 1 unit OR disregard 2U, count 3U as 2 units and 4U as 2 units.

Well, that's what I've heard anyway.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Ahh ok, thanks guys for clearing that up for me :)
Yeah I agree with dance2urownbeat a 100 2u maths is really something special, I would hate to give that up, but it also depends what you want to do after school and that as well.

Wow that is a tough choice!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
PantherZ said:
I thought if you had accelerated 2U and done 4U in year 12 you can choose between 2 scenarios. This is to either count 2U maths as 2 units, 3 unit as 1 unit and 4 unit as 1 unit OR disregard 2U, count 3U as 2 units and 4U as 2 units.

Well, that's what I've heard anyway.
But you see, most people who do 4 unit haven't previously done 2 unit as their HSC.

So if they already did their HSC for 4 unit, how can they possibly go back to their results for 2 unit (which are really non-existent).

jet

Banned
HSC
mmm, yeah you would definitely lose the 2 unit.
They assume that you would already get a Band 6 for that (true in your case lol). You'll just have to wait and see how 4 unit is.

micuzzo

HSC
lyounamu said:

doesn't 4U start term 4 last year in all schools...

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
yeh but he can drop it.

Yes the scaling remains for the accelerated subject..... If my Indo could have been rescaled this year my SOR would not have counted... but that's not fair so twas not the case

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
In most cases, if you accelerated 2u and 3u - I'd reccomend you do 4u. However I think namu is an exception, because coming 1st in any subject would have awesome scaling. However - I know Namu personally and I know he loves maths, so I can see why he kept 4u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)