Need help on 2009 subject Scaling (1 Viewer)

aznscrew

HSC
Hey guys i want to know if Information Software Design has good scaling at all, i although i have a bad feeling about it being scaled down, if so by how much? and also how scaled down is biology? i kind of like biology but i'm affraid if it has poor scaling.

I want to change Software Design and Development to something else but i dont know what to change it to. I need some serious help i'm all stressed up about this. I want to change it to IPT but its on same line so i might have to change it to Chemistry. :S

Any advise and help appreciated thanks

TBK11

HSC
Relax about scaling it wont effect u if u do good in your subjects
whats the point of doing a subject just for scaling if u cannot perform well in it?
example SDD u get 96 and chemistry u choose because of scaling and get 81 maybe? wouldnt SDD be better, its also said any combination of subjects can get u a 100 UAI or even 99.xx for that matter

so dont choose something just for scaling
if u want to check what you would get if u choose those subject check out SAM
www.boredofstudies.org/sam and it will tell u it predicts ur UAI

oh and btw i also do biology and i love it so i know i can perform well in it, rather than me choosing economics for scaling where i know i wont go as well

LeetSpeek

HSC
Do Chem, its interesting, and scales far higher.

An on the post above me if you are aiming for a high UAI every uai point counts and scaling should be considered f you wish to perform well.

TBK11

HSC
Do Chem, its interesting, and scales far higher.

An on the post above me if you are aiming for a high UAI every uai point counts and scaling should be considered f you wish to perform well.
yes thats true but there have been people in the past who have gotten 99.xx uai with out doin extension subs and choosing the subs they like i red somewhere

some1 got 99.95 and he did
English stnd, mathematics, visual design, visual arts and food tech (i think!) not 100% sure on his subjects but they were along the line of that where Mathematics was his best scaling subject.

bored of sc

HSC
2009 subject scaling of any subject is unknown right now.

LeetSpeek

HSC
yes thats true but there have been people in the past who have gotten 99.xx uai with out doin extension subs and choosing the subs they like i red somewhere

English stnd, mathematics, visual design, visual arts and food tech (i think!) not 100% sure on his subjects but they were along the line of that where Mathematics was his best scaling subject.
Maybe so, but people in the past could eat hotdogs in under 5 seconds and run 100m in 9 seconds.

Just because someone in the past did this and i read about that doesnt mean the majority of people can afford to do subjects such as standard english and still expect a high UAI. It could happen, but you'll have more chance getting 100 UAI with more scaled subjects than something over 96 with subjects that are considered "easy".

Therefore back to my original point, scaling does matter and to the OP its not how hard you study but how smart you allocate your time to each subjects. Dont believe that you cant do a scaled subject because your not smart enough. Do it anyway and set a routine that will help you achieve your goals.

And to TBK 11 if you are seriously aiming for that score in your signature I would advise you to re-think the subjects you have chosen and do advance and ext anyway even though there was a pool going on about how long you last in it at school. You could surpirse yourself at how well you do. BTW that whole pool thing was a joke. Nobody really had any money in it.

:)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just a reminder that how the 2009 subjects scale won't actually be determined until AFTER the HSC exams have been sat and marked.

It is theoretically possible that a subject that has had better scaling in the past may not scale as well this year (particularly if lots of students only choose the subject because of the scaling but not because of ability and interest - as that would bring down the scaling.)

When you are asking how subjects scale you are asking how they have scaled in the past not how they will scale in 2009 as the answer to that question is: We don't know and won't know until December 2009.

Like the ranking of schools the scaling of subjects is done annually based on the performance of that particular year's cohort.

truestar92

HSC
scaling worries me
can the marks of my fellow students really scale me down?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
scaling worries me
can the marks of my fellow students really scale me down?
Yes, infact, that's how some of it happens. Your main objective should be to ace your internals and rank 1st. When it comes to the externals, if you do not perform so well (well not as well, around 4th) your marks will still be scaled up to near the person who ranked 1st in the external.

This also obviously works in reverse. If your whole course class goes well and improves, then your marks will go up. If only you are working well and everyone else is slowly getting worse, then your marks will be dragged down. Hence, the benefits of selective schools with very hard workers in them.

I have an example of this. A student who completed their 2008 HSC duxed the year with only 88.60. This was a major drop from 2007 (99.2). The 2008 "duxee" didn't work as hard because of other commitements but the 2007 (99.2 uaier) duxee had a very smart cohort! The poor girl for last year who was extremely disappointed with 88.60 really did have a poor cohort. She was basically one of 10/60 people who wanted to continute tertiary studies at university; and about 5 (including her) who wanted to get a good uai. Because of the poor effort and marks from her fellow classmates (with averagish) scaling subjects, her marks really got pulled down.

So help each other! Make sure you have a smart class. Don't get too freaked out about it though. :lol:

Last edited:

Brontecat

HSC
what if u dont have a large enough cohort for this to count - there are only 8 ppl in my year and i will sit my maths exam this year with only 6

nerd_2b

HSC
well, what are your subjects?? all ur subjects??

biology scales well acording to your performance. if you like it, you should perform well. the computer subjects don't scale as much. chemistry scales really well, but hey don't look at scaling; just look at your performance. worry on your knowledge ofthe subject not scaling, and don't pick chemistry if you're not confident. it's for your own good.

i chose subjects which i liked and they also turn out to be really highly scaled subjects as well.

nerd_2b

HSC
if ure sure to pick chem, be sure to be ok with it because its far too hard to mess with....and your chance of scaling is also lost...

my subjects
----------------------

standard english
maths + ext 1
chemistry
biology
business studies
economics

uai aim= 98+

dp624

HSC

wow he must have really really really owned all his exams to have done that well. there's only ever been one case of a 99.95 with standard english

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
wow he must have really really really owned all his exams to have done that well. there's only ever beed one case of a 99.95 with standard english
Yeah I personally find that hard to believe...

I mean, you basically need to have topped every subject to get 99.95 UAI with that because:

2 unit maths = 100/100
standard top in 2004 = 93/100 or 94/100
food tech = 94/100
visual design = ??

-Onlooker-

HSC
Hey guys i want to know if Information Software Design has good scaling at all, i although i have a bad feeling about it being scaled down, if so by how much? and also how scaled down is biology? i kind of like biology but i'm affraid if it has poor scaling.

I want to change Software Design and Development to something else but i dont know what to change it to. I need some serious help i'm all stressed up about this. I want to change it to IPT but its on same line so i might have to change it to Chemistry. :S

Any advise and help appreciated thanks
Last year, Biology was the second best science scaler (After Physics); Suprisingly, Chemistry was the worst from the 3.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Yes, infact, that's how some of it happens. Your main objective should be to ace your internals and rank 1st. When it comes to the externals, if you do not perform so well (well not as well, around 4th) your marks will still be scaled up to near the person who ranked 1st in the external.

This also obviously works in reverse. If your whole course class goes well and improves, then your marks will go up. If only you are working well and everyone else is slowly getting worse, then your marks will be dragged down. Hence, the benefits of selective schools with very hard workers in them.

I have an example of this. A student who completed their 2008 HSC duxed the year with only 88.60. This was a major drop from 2007 (99.2). The 2008 "duxee" didn't work as hard because of other commitements but the 2007 (99.2 uaier) duxee had a very smart cohort! The poor girl for last year who was extremely disappointed with 88.60 really did have a poor cohort. She was basically one of 10/60 people who wanted to continute tertiary studies at university; and about 5 (including her) who wanted to get a good uai. Because of the poor effort and marks from her fellow classmates (with averagish) scaling subjects, her marks really got pulled down.

So help each other! Make sure you have a smart class. Don't get too freaked out about it though. :lol:

i get scaled down for having bludgers in my classes, screw those shitheads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)