Ripple effect caused by others? (1 Viewer)

Thecorey0

HSC
Might I introduce myself as Corey.

I go to a low ranked school - higher then 400. I am just wondering if others in my classes will affect my results in the HSC. Most of my classes are small, biggest happens to only have 6, and I do 3 units through distance ed. I am first in all of my classes, getting 80-95% in most, getting first in class usually by a margin of 20-50%. My question is, if there are only 2 people in the class, and I get 95% +, and the other person gets less then 30 (which is often), will that affect my marks at all?

I am not worried, as I am unable to control it. Also I have heard that with classes less then 4 students, your assessment mark isn't used in your HSC mark, but rather your external mark contributes 100% of it. Can anyone hopefully deny this?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I go to a low ranked school - higher then 400. I am just wondering if others in my classes will affect my results in the HSC. Most of my classes are small, biggest happens to only have 6, and I do 3 units through distance ed. I am first in all of my classes, getting 80-95% in most, getting first in class usually by a margin of 20-50%. My question is, if there are only 2 people in the class, and I get 95% +, and the other person gets less then 30 (which is often), will that affect my marks at all?
Hmm... well all you need to do is make sure you are ranked first in each course you are doing. If you are ranked first no one will affect your mark, along with that you need to make sure you also study for the actual HSC exam and do well in it too :)

I am not worried, as I am unable to control it. Also I have heard that with classes less then 4 students, your assessment mark isn't used in your HSC mark, but rather your external mark contributes 100% of it. Can anyone hopefully deny this?
No idea, sorry :(

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

For your first question, they won't affect your marks at all but you have to make sure that you wourself know EXACTLY what you're doing.

For your second question I'm not so sure but seriously does it make any difference? Just do well in your external exams. Even if the your assessment mark counts and you do well in the assessment but badly in the exam, then your assessment mark will be moderated down.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Hi Corey. :wave:

Most of my classes are small, biggest happens to only have 6, and I do 3 units through distance ed. I am first in all of my classes ... My question is, if there are only 2 people in the class, and I get 95% +, and the other person gets less then 30 (which is often), will that affect my marks at all?
Nope. You are immune for as long as you are ranked first.

(By ranked first, I mean absolute first, equal first isn't good enough.)

It is worth mentioning at this point that if you're studying a course via distance education through a particular institution, you need to be ranked first out of all the people who are studying the same course at that institution, and not just those studying by distance education. The institution should be able to tell you whether this is the case.

But, again, if you're ranked first, you'll be immune.

Also I have heard that with classes less then 4 students, your assessment mark isn't used in your HSC mark, but rather your external mark contributes 100% of it. Can anyone hopefully deny this?
There are only two situations in which school assessment marks are not used and HSC marks are determined entirely from external performance - and that is where the course is one which does not have any school assessment components (which is quite rare) or where the class consists of only one student.

So the rumour you have heard is, broadly speaking, not correct.

I say 'broadly speaking' because there are special theoretical circumstances in which classes will be seen to have only one student even though they might actually have more - e.g. where everyone in your class except you lodges a successful illness/misadventure application and as a result they are initially excluded from the moderating process.

But those circumstances are so unlikely to occur that you really don't need to worry about them.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Hi Corey. :wave:

Nope. You are immune for as long as you are ranked first.

(By ranked first, I mean absolute first, equal first isn't good enough.)

It is worth mentioning at this point that if you're studying a course via distance education through a particular institution, you need to be ranked first out of all the people who are studying the same course at that institution, and not just those studying by distance education. The institution should be able to tell you whether this is the case.

But, again, if you're ranked first, you'll be immune.

There are only two situations in which school assessment marks are not used and HSC marks are determined entirely from external performance - and that is where the course is one which does not have any school assessment components (which is quite rare) or where the class consists of only one student.

So the rumour you have heard is, broadly speaking, not correct.

I say 'broadly speaking' because there are special theoretical circumstances in which classes will be seen to have only one student even though they might actually have more - e.g. where everyone in your class except you lodges a successful illness/misadventure application and as a result they are initially excluded from the moderating process.

But those circumstances are so unlikely to occur that you really don't need to worry about them.
I'm the like the only kid in my Year who thinks that he/she is capable of 4 Unit Maths. If I take it up in Year 12, will my HSC Mark for it be determined by only my external exam performance?

I also have a question which I can't figure out. In 2007 there were two kids in my school doing 4 Unit Maths. They both scored Band E4s for their HSC Exam marks but their Moderated Assessment marks were both E3s. How is this scenario possible?

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'm the like the only kid in my Year who thinks that he/she is capable of 4 Unit Maths. If I take it up in Year 12, will my HSC Mark for it be determined by only my external exam performance?
If you are the only one, yes.

I also have a question which I can't figure out. In 2007 there were two kids in my school doing 4 Unit Maths. They both scored Band E4s for their HSC Exam marks but their Moderated Assessment marks were both E3s. How is this scenario possible?
It's not possible.

Either there were more students or that is not an accurate description of their marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)