The situation of stealing HSC marks. Myth or not? (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Ok, I'm not sure if this is a myth or not, but I'd like it all cleared up. For example:

Internally:

Student A - 90
Student B - 95

Externally:

Student A - 99
Student B - 90

I heard that Student A, the higher mark externally takes the internal mark of Student B, and that gets averaged to a mark of 97. Is this true? My scenario may be very off, but are there any similar cases?

All input is appreciated! Thanks.

nosh22

HSC
I heard that the student with the higher internal mark ends up with the higher external mark as their internal mark. :)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Ok, I'm not sure if this is a myth or not, but I'd like it all cleared up. For example:

Internally:

Student A - 90
Student B - 95

Externally:

Student A - 99
Student B - 90

I heard that Student A, the higher mark externally takes the internal mark of Student B, and that gets averaged to a mark of 97. Is this true? My scenario may be very off, but are there any similar cases?

probably MORE correct to say they both get 94.5

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
If there's only 2 students, student B will get 99 internally and A 90 after moderation. Both will keep there original External mark.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

Internally:

Student A - 90
Student B - 95

Externally:

Student A - 99
Student B - 90

External Internal Overall

Student A 99 94 97
Student B 90 99 95

Your scenario is fairly true. Check the prototype assessment modulater if you're still confused.

www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
If it's just two people, swapping mark is going to happen really.

If it's more than two, they look at difference in marks as well...but still ranks are more important

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
From my experience, everything is important. I was ranked 20th with an internal mark of 70 in 2U last year, and that got moderated to 87 and my external mark was 92 - so I do think the externals are just as important as your rank (if not more).

Note that most people who ranked between 10-19 did not get a Band 6 at my school last year.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
If there's only 2 students, student B will get 99 internally and A 90 after moderation. Both will keep there original External mark.

Student A 99 94 97
Student B 90 99 95

Your scenario is fairly true. Check the prototype assessment modulater if you're still confused.

www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.phphttp://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.phphttp://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php
So who's right? And if there were more than 2 students, how would it work? This is interesting...Thanks for the input guys.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC

Student A 99 94 97
Student B 90 99 95

www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.phphttp://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.phphttp://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php
So who's right? And if there were more than 2 students, how would it work? This is interesting...Thanks for the input guys.
Technically, they're both incorrect. :)

But chewy123 is the closest. (Dragonmaster262 used different numbers.)

Ordinarily when there are only two students, the top moderated mark will be the top exam mark, and the bottom moderated mark will be the bottom exam mark.

If the exam marks have a much greater spread than the assessment marks, however, sometimes this will disadvantage the bottom student. In those circumstances the bottom moderated mark is set equal to W, where:

W = (bottom assessment mark / top assessment mark) * top exam mark

In your example, the bottom moderated mark would be increased from 90.0 to 93.8 (the value of W).

In practice, W is used as the bottom moderated mark whenever it gives a higher mark to the bottom student.

As for what happens when there are more than two students, Without Wings has already linked you to one of the many threads on the topic.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

Ordinarily when there are only two students, the top moderated mark will be the top exam mark, and the bottom moderated mark will be the bottom exam mark.

If the exam marks have a much greater spread than the assessment marks, however, sometimes this will disadvantage the bottom student. In those circumstances the bottom moderated mark is set equal to W, where:

In your example, the bottom moderated mark would be increased from 90.0 to 93.8 (the value of W).

In practice, W is used as the bottom moderated mark whenever it gives a higher mark to the bottom student.

As for what happens when there are more than two students, Without Wings has already linked you to one of the many threads on the topic.
Thanks Lazarus.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

I was trying to make the marks appear as they would have been in your Record of Achievement. Did I get that wrong?:confused:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I was trying to make the marks appear as they would have been in your Record of Achievement. Did I get that wrong?:confused:
No, you just used different marks to the OP - compare the numbers you used with the ones in his example. :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ohh, sorry, I completely misinterpreted your post.

I take it all back. :)

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Umm one question about the simulator thingy, is the moderated mark the moderation of the assessment mark or the exam mark? :confused::confused:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Umm one question about the simulator thingy, is the moderated mark the moderation of the assessment mark or the exam mark? :confused::confused:
I am not sure your question makes sense.

The moderated mark is the student's assessment mark after the school's raw internal assessment marks have been moderated against the school's examination marks.

(The student's examination mark is always their examination mark. The HSC mark is the average of the examination mark and the moderated assessment mark.)

Official

Bring it on
HSC
I am not sure your question makes sense.

The moderated mark is the student's assessment mark after the school's raw internal assessment marks have been moderated against the school's examination marks.

(The student's examination mark is always their examination mark. The HSC mark is the average of the examination mark and the moderated assessment mark.)
Oh ok, I get it now :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)