Scaling system (1 Viewer)

F

filofr3ak

Do some subjects dramatically scale you up? If so which ones?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL at above post hehe ^^^ (by "L")

Some do, but you need to perform well in them, extremly well and they're also difficult

Maths extension 2, Maths extension 1, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Latin I think or Latin Extension

lol I'm doing most of the ones I mentioned lol

dp624

HSC
not many subjects actually scale up; only some, such as MX2, and distinction, etc scale up
MX1 scales pretty evenly

undalay

HSC
not many subjects actually scale up; only some, such as MX2, and distinction, etc scale up
MX1 scales pretty evenly
It terms of pure scaling you are correct. However in terms in relative scaling. MX1 and the subjects listed by iRuler all scale up.
Since UAI is really just a rank, only relative scaling matters.

dp624

HSC
It terms of pure scaling you are correct. However in terms in relative scaling. MX1 and the subjects listed by iRuler all scale up.
Since UAI is really just a rank, only relative scaling matters.
er, well, then "up" isn't the right word; scale "well" is what you're looking for

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
why does economics scale so well? its common sense and general knowledge. shit easy.

SophJI

HSC
Even if you do high scailing subjects you have to be good at them

if your ranking is like bottom 5 on subjects lik eco,chem etc

no point

i wouldn't choose subjects just because they scale you up

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Even if you do high scailing subjects you have to be good at them

if your ranking is like bottom 5 on subjects lik eco,chem etc

no point

i wouldn't choose subjects just because they scale you up
And I wouldn't choose subjects that are easy. Harder subjects push you to work harder and not be bottom ranked like you said. In the end, the scaling is rewarding IF you put in the hard yards.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
And I wouldn't choose subjects that are easy. Harder subjects push you to work harder and not be bottom ranked like you said. In the end, the scaling is rewarding IF you put in the hard yards.
I believe in a bit of both. Have a few high scaling subjects, such as MX1, MX2, Physics, Chem, EE1, Economics etc.. as these will differentiate you from getting lets say a low 90UAI to a UAI over 95.

However choose some subjects which you know you'll do good in and that will not be too stressful for you (as long as they don't scale TOO badly) - such as Business Studies, Legal Studies, Biology etc.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I believe in a bit of both. Have a few high scaling subjects, such as MX1, MX2, Physics, Chem, EE1, Economics etc.. as these will differentiate you from getting lets say a low 90UAI to a UAI over 95.

However choose some subjects which you know you'll do good in and that will not be too stressful for you (as long as they don't scale TOO badly) - such as Business Studies, Legal Studies, Biology etc.
Good point Nathan. It works both ways...But personally, I prefer difficult subjects.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^what's the definition of "difficult"? Doe scaling determine the "difficulty" of the course?

I mean, if I were to do difficult subjects, I would have done Industrial Technology, Visual Arts, Music 2, Music Extension and all those subjects that I suck at.

tku336

HSC
the guy who's fourth at grammar (and thus likely to get a UAI of 100) does earth and environmental science, biology, history, physics and 4 unit english. i.e. no maths.

ah.sport

HSC
N/A
exactly as above..
you don't need maths to get a really good UAI. although im sure it doesn't hurt your chances, esp if you're acing 3 or 4 unit..
but really there are other subjects that scale pretty well to like modern history (much harder to get good marks than ancient) history extension and also if you do well in english advanced (only a small percentage get a band 6) then you're going pretty well..
also, i don't think business studies scales too well..

but.. as others mentioned before, no point doing subjects for their scaling and not worrying that you'll get a low UAI if you aren't doing so well

HSC
just reading some posts & a 'difficult' subject is hard to define.
for me personally, i am the most UNCREATIVE person! so visual arts would be a difficult subject for me! whereas alot of people percieve it as a bludge/easy subject.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
^what's the definition of "difficult"? Doe scaling determine the "difficulty" of the course?

I mean, if I were to do difficult subjects, I would have done Industrial Technology, Visual Arts, Music 2, Music Extension and all those subjects that I suck at.
This, except I'd probably be fine at Industrial Technology and Visual Arts.

dp624

HSC
the guy who's fourth at grammar (and thus likely to get a UAI of 100) does earth and environmental science, biology, history, physics and 4 unit english. i.e. no maths.
likely is not so sure a thing just yet
grammar 100s fluctuate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)