Rank affecting final UAI (1 Viewer)

muscleman09

HSC
someone please explain, how do the guys whose internal ranks are not great get a good UAI. Lets just say, in all assessments you have at school, you get 85+%, a great mark, but every one else gets higher, ranking you say... 40/50. Hypothetically that is...

and so, how does one with bad rankings at school, who does well in hsc, say 85 raw mark all subjects... get a good UAI? Good for me personally would be 84+

that is with my current intellectual ability... so. like. how is it fair? and do people with not really good rankings get good UAI's.

Basically all im saying, can u have assessments throughout the year, rankings are not good, but go extremely well in the HSC, and get a good UAI

thanks guys :D

sickk

HSC
alot of variables mate, everyone is gona be telling you about ur schools actual ranking, ur gona hear the words, moderating, aligning, scaling

for isntance, teachers in ur school might mark ur assessments easier than others, so in the HSC if u get an 85 internal, and ur HSC mark comes back 70, they match ur internal to ur HSC (put very simply) they also keep the same standard deviation and rank, and difference in rank etc <--- moderating

EDIT: also ur teachers could mark harsh, giving u all 50s, and then ur hsc comes back 80, they bring ur internal mark up to 80 (doing the whole keeping the ranks and stuff)

to answer ur question " can u have assessments throughout the year, rankings are not good, but go extremely well in the HSC, and get a good UAI"

YES <--- if ur school is highly ranked, the idea is that the people scoring higher than u are the cream of the crop, scoring 99 UAI

but also....

NO <--- if ur school is low ranked, if u do shit in a shit school.. well then thats not turning out well

EDIT: best thing you can do, is to try ur very very best in assessments

others will be able to shed more light

muscleman09

HSC
thanks man that has given me some insight,
my only assessments left are my half yearlies then trials :S

half yearlies are first day back of school, so im currently studying hard.

more insight to this would be great guys

sickk

HSC
awww man thats HARSSSHHH to have half yearlies first week back, that totally bumms out ur holidays, ours were last week of term so were all getting back into human mode, instead of robots from studying

theres a couple good threads on this floating around, just do some searching ull definantly come up with a bunchhhhhh !

muscleman09

HSC
yeh it is pretty shit, but still, 9 hours study a day for me... for like 18 days is = to me getting 80+ all subjects = me smiling

Gunner4lyfe

HSC
yeh it is pretty shit, but still, 9 hours study a day for me... for like 18 days is = to me getting 80+ all subjects = me smiling
with that amount of study...(considering it ALL Goes in...)....you should hit 98.

muscleman09

HSC
with that amount of study...(considering it ALL Goes in...)....you should hit 98.

if i do get 95+, i will give u 100 bucks... I WOULD feel like the most amazing person on the earth... for me, the best reward NO JOKE... is actually seeing my parents be happy with me. When they say "OMG WOW GOOD FOR U SON" im like.. aww shucks..." but yes.... i just did some recalculating of my holidays... its actually 13 days of 9 hours study
which is gonna be 117 hours of study taking into the exam

Gunner4lyfe

HSC
if i do get 95+, i will give u 100 bucks... I WOULD feel like the most amazing person on the earth... for me, the best reward NO JOKE... is actually seeing my parents be happy with me. When they say "OMG WOW GOOD FOR U SON" im like.. aww shucks..." but yes.... i just did some recalculating of my holidays... its actually 13 days of 9 hours study
which is gonna be 117 hours of study taking into the exam
and yes that is exactly my story. mainly my dad

oly1991

HSC
98? Only? If it all goes in, he should hit 100.
i dont want to sound like a party pooper...but getting that high UAI with those subjects seems almost impossible but i still think you can get in the mid 90s

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
i dont want to sound like a party pooper...but getting that high UAI with those subjects seems almost impossible but i still think you can get in the mid 90s
Well you can get 100 UAI with the OP's subjects. Hitting mid-90 will be wayyyy easier but even hitting 99 is quite possible as long as he hits mid 90 for all his subjects

dp624

HSC
100 needs talent dude (no, this isn't a plug for talent-100)

there are some people who could work their lives away and not get 100 - you need that perfect combination of talent and hard work

HSC
is it true that 100 is possible with any combination of subjects?
because everybody keeps saying that but reading a few posts in this thread contradicts it.

dp624

HSC
some obviously 'harder' than others - ie. requring heaps of state rankings

HSC
yeah i think mine would be quite hard to get 100 in.
but im not expecting 100 anyway.
im being realistic lol

tku336

HSC
hey, the guy we think most definite to get a UAI of 100 in grammar does earth and environmental, biology and modern history (and physics and 4 eng)

you can get 100 regardless of your subjects.

muscleman09

HSC
woah guys... lets just rewind a bit.

My UAI aim is 89+

This 9hours of study.. is just for the holidays, due to my half yearlies being the 1st day back of school. I hope no one is thinking 9 hours of study everynight or anything...

But anyway, my rankings are not great but 'good'. My main problem, or well worry is that, i know i can go extremely well in the actual HSC exams, but the final UAI mark that i get wont be good because of school assessments. My school is ranked in the top 100, so... would that have any positive impact on me?

For all my subjects, im aiming high band 6 obviously, but for me, say low band 5 is the minimum in results i want back. If i can achieve this, will my UAI of say 85+ still be achievable??? thats what i want to know.

ty

dp624

HSC
hey, the guy we think most definite to get a UAI of 100 in grammar does earth and environmental, biology and modern history (and physics and 4 eng)

you can get 100 regardless of your subjects.
well you see, phys, 4u eng, and bio and mod are decent subjects at the top - he only does one 'crappy scaling' subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)