High ranks, but LOW marks (1 Viewer)

qwert789

HSC
How does this work?
This seems to occur frequently.
Does this mean the exams are super hard in those schools ( but there are quite many) or the people in those schools are crap? I mean there can't be THAT many schools with top 5 in 70's in terms of mark.

dp624

HSC
How does this work?
This seems to occur frequently.
Does this mean the exams are super hard in those schools ( but there are quite many) or the people in those schools are crap? I mean there can't be THAT many schools with top 5 in 70's in terms of mark.
maybe the exams are hard
or the school is crap
you've said it

try doing other school's past papers and see how they go

Babbu

HSC
Funny educational system in NSW and in this country.

Poor level of education in primary years - almost nothing.

Such big kids stay at home...start studying so late, and there after very slow mental growth till year 6.

Then Years 6, 7 & 8 are also not competitive. Years 9 and & 10 also are not about competition or ranking but just your own worth in School Certificate.

And then...come preliminary and HSC...suddenly there is so much hue and cry about ranking. Even the duds wake up and start studying, hire a tutor or go for best coaching and even outdo these godo students who were always genuinely interested in serious studies ( I mean good students who study even while in Years 6, 7, 8, 9 etc not just in Year 12).
There are many serious students who are not even aware how imporant this ranking system is so they don't get hyped up all of a sudden (like the late bloomers do). But they are outdone by these tutor-trained average students.
All these reasons contribute to this tension in HSC. Many good students are hurt by this process. They know more stuff than these late crammers and they knwo it more deeply. But they are outdone by the "strategists" who are more informed, not about the subject/study matter, but about "tricks of the trade"...how to get better marks...how to get better rankings - short answer tricks - long answer tricks.
Eg; Those who don't even care a wee bit about Physics, say will learn short answer, long answer questions and top the class in Year 12. If you ask them some question, they know nothing deep. And they then go on to do some non-Physics degree, so they don't really love Physics.

Pathetic sick game of HSC and UAIs.

I'll be glad once it all is over so that I can study genuine the subjects I love, not just for the sake of UAI or rankings.

I seriously hate this rat race.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

Such big kids stay at home...start studying so late, and there after very slow mental growth till year 6.

Then Years 6, 7 & 8 are also not competitive. Years 9 and & 10 also are not about competition or ranking but just your own worth in School Certificate.

And then...come preliminary and HSC...suddenly there is so much hue and cry about ranking. Even the duds wake up and start studying, hire a tutor or go for best coaching and even outdo these godo students who were always genuinely interested in serious studies ( I mean good students who study even while in Years 6, 7, 8, 9 etc not just in Year 12).
There are many serious students who are not even aware how imporant this ranking system is so they don't get hyped up all of a sudden (like the late bloomers do). But they are outdone by these tutor-trained average students.
All these reasons contribute to this tension in HSC. Many good students are hurt by this process. They know more stuff than these late crammers and they knwo it more deeply. But they are outdone by the "strategists" who are more informed, not about the subject/study matter, but about "tricks of the trade"...how to get better marks...how to get better rankings - short answer tricks - long answer tricks.
Eg; Those who don't even care a wee bit about Physics, say will learn short answer, long answer questions and top the class in Year 12. If you ask them some question, they know nothing deep. And they then go on to do some non-Physics degree, so they don't really love Physics.

I'll be glad once it all is over so that I can study genuine the subjects I love, not just for the sake of UAI or rankings.

In some sense, you have a point. In another sense, you might just saying that because you're one of the 'victims' of the strategists who end up acing the HSC.

untouchablecuz

HSC

your going crap ay ;)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
yeah, catholic schools generally have harder maths exams for some reason... for instance, the top students in our 3 unit class normally gets in the low 30s out of 45 for the exams

plus our chem exams are ultra-hard, module 1 exam was out of two hundred and sixty something and the highest mark was around 130, but most people got below 100

swathard

HSC

I totally agree with what youve said above. It's not that I'm doing badly or anything, I am actually doing quite well, but I have seen this happen at my school, and I go to a selective school. I find it a bit frustrating to be honest that those who work consistently end up being the ones outdone by tutored/coached students who really have little understanding of the course but just have all the tricks of the trade from tutors (mind you, I never have had a tutor.)

JordaneVG

HSC
N/A

That's so true....I hate those late crammers and those students who are not geniune nerds.This is a rip off of the true students, the students that actually have a passion in the subject. :spzz:

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Lol mate you probably just get beaten by them. I've been screwing around the whole time knowing full well I could do better simply because I wanted to enjoy life. Now it's Year 11 and I'm finally getting serious. I've always known how to do well, I've just never bothered. And mind you, I'm still doing extremely well for myself and I'm not a total flunker. I have decent marks in most subjects and it's highly likely that I'll get a high UAI of 98+ regardless, it's just that I want to push myself to the limit to see how good I can really do. HSC is just a bullshit game that you need to rip the shit out of in order to get into uni, it's a sad fact but that's how life is. So man up, stop complaining about others and work and learn these tricks so you too can do well.

pman

Banned
HSC
My school is ranked fairly high but we get low marks, most selective schools do. on the other hand, low marks can = low state ranks, get ur teachers top mark past hsc papers and see how u do

dp624

HSC
Lol mate you probably just get beaten by them. I've been screwing around the whole time knowing full well I could do better simply because I wanted to enjoy life. Now it's Year 11 and I'm finally getting serious. I've always known how to do well, I've just never bothered. And mind you, I'm still doing extremely well for myself and I'm not a total flunker. I have decent marks in most subjects and it's highly likely that I'll get a high UAI of 98+ regardless, it's just that I want to push myself to the limit to see how good I can really do. HSC is just a bullshit game that you need to rip the shit out of in order to get into uni, it's a sad fact but that's how life is. So man up, stop complaining about others and work and learn these tricks so you too can do well.
this is what ruse can do to you
xD

omniscience

HSC
N/A
that simply means you are at shit school heading for * uai point

Babbu

HSC
this is what ruse can do to you
xD

Ruse is all about marks and high rankings, isn't it?.
I've heard that if some long-time topper goes down in Year 12, then no one cares for him/her as then only a few months left and this useless person won't bring any merit to their long list of 100 UAIs. The same teachers who admired the 'brains' of this 'one time' genius will starts looking down upon him and won't help him out if he can't get marks for the school, even if for unforeseen circumstances. That much is a student's worth - valued only if at the top.

So, only the toppers are worshipped even if they were considered duds not very long ago and for all those long years 7 to 11.

dp624

HSC
Ruse is all about marks and high rankings, isn't it?.
I've heard that if some long-time topper goes down in Year 12, then no one cares for him/her as then only a few months left and this useless person won't bring any merit to their long list of 100 UAIs. The same teachers who admired the 'brains' of this 'one time' genius will starts looking down upon him and won't help him out if he can't get marks for the school, even if for unforeseen circumstances. That much is a student's worth - valued only if at the top.

So, only the toppers are worshipped even if they were considered duds not very long ago and for all those long years 7 to 11.
er, no
it's not that cutthroat

Babbu

HSC
Tis a wonderful place where doing 2U Maths makes you a dumbass.
You lucky guys. *Sighs* I wish I was at Ruse. But I won't feel a dumbass there as I have 4 unit and am good at it (for the love of it not for getting into some non-maths course).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)