standard english - raw mark to aim for (1 Viewer)

shady145

Banned
HSC
okay first, ive been told on this site that std and adv english scale the same, but the advanced english teacher at my school told her class that advanced scales better. so what is correct, if they scale the same what are the advantages of doing advanced over standard.

okay secondly, assuming they scale the same, would u need to obtain the same raw mark, or would you have to aim higher?

tris123

HSC
obviously advanced is going to scale better, its a harder subject. aim for a raw mark of 90% and u'll be fine

shady145

Banned
HSC
obviously advanced is going to scale better, its a harder subject. aim for a raw mark of 90% and u'll be fine
well some people would like to argue against what u said. its a harder subjeect? do they mark harder in advanced? how do u know

Lebosouljah

HSC
N/A
in some parts of english both advanced and standard do the same question, but others are different so advanced scales better there.

tris123

HSC
of course they mark harder in advanced. hence ADVANCED not GENERAL. if they scaled the same why the fuck would anyone bother doing advanced

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I didn't give a shit about scaling.
All I got was a range of 12 to 16 out of 20 by my Year 12 Half-Yearlies and then a range of 13 to 17 out of 20 by my Year 12 Trials and I scored a Band 5 in the English Standard HSC paper.
Rough approximates.
End of story.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The two courses are scaled exactly the same and have been since 2001.

The same raw mark in Standard and Advanced will become the same scaled mark.

There are plenty of threads about this.

Make sure you don't confuse 'scaling' for UAI/ATAR purposes with 'aligning' for Board of Studies purposes. They're scaled the same (so it makes no difference to your UAI/ATAR) but they're not aligned the same (so it can be harder to get into a particular band).

If you're only interested in your UAI/ATAR, there's nothing to worry about.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
The two courses are scaled exactly the same and have been since 2001.

The same raw mark in Standard and Advanced will become the same scaled mark.

There are plenty of threads about this.

Make sure you don't confuse 'scaling' for UAI/ATAR purposes with 'aligning' for Board of Studies purposes. They're scaled the same (so it makes no difference to your UAI/ATAR) but they're not aligned the same (so it can be harder to get into a particular band).

If you're only interested in your UAI/ATAR, there's nothing to worry about.
QFT.

They scale the same, but it's much, much harder to get a high mark in standard when compared to advanced.

shady145

Banned
HSC
of course they mark harder in advanced. hence ADVANCED not GENERAL. if they scaled the same why the fuck would anyone bother doing advanced
okay calm down buddy
they scale the same

so this aligning process is harder because? isit because of the common paper, obviously the majority in advanced will beat the majority in standard and so will align their marks better? if thats not right please explain

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
so this aligning process is harder because? isit because of the common paper, obviously the majority in advanced will beat the majority in standard and so will align their marks better? if thats not right please explain
Yes, that's basically it ^^

roci

HSC
I don't neccessarily think that it's the matter of whether standard or advanced is marked harder or not. They're marked the same according to criteria. It's just the content is different and more difficult and extended.
Advanced isn't really hard at all. Just get 90 + In standard :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)